Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

07 Mustang seats into a 65 Mustang!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Xargon321
2nd Gear Member

Default 07 Mustang seats into a 65 Mustang!!

Well i was able to score some 2007 mustang seats for my 65 Mustang and started to get them ready to put in i only took a couple to pics but i will take more when i do the drivers seat it got dark before i could get it out.

I started by taking the bolts off the passenger seat you have to access them from under the car there may or may not be some rubber plugs on you're car. once i got the passenger seat out i pulled the tracks off there is a large spring attached to the track and seat frame that you will have to remove, there is also a rod that connects the seat track adjustment levers together but that wont come out until the tracks do.

Once you get the tracks off the old seat its time to work on the new seat there are electronics galore under here depending on what type of seats you get i got both manual so i didn't have a lot of stuff but there was still the airbag weight sensor and the seat belt sensor.

Name:  SV1qP.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  38.7 KB

the track assembly is held on by 4 nuts they are inside the seat frame and hard to see and get at. i had to take a 15mm box ratchet wrench to get at them and take them off after i taken them off i was left with a trackless seat.

Name:  NZluLl.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  62.7 KB

The holes marked with a red arrow are 14 1/8 inches apart and that just how far apart the old seat track need to be! i took a 5/16 drill bit and drilled out those holes i put 3/4 spacers under the tracks and bolted them down i then measured the tracks outside to outside and got 15 3/8 i made sure that the top was the same then marked the top holes as there are not any pre drilled.

Name:  57yMU.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  37.9 KB

This is the top holes marked

i drilled a pilot hole first then finished with the 5/16 bit with the tracks bolted down I reinstalled the springs and the adjustment lever tension bar.

Name:  IRhTN.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  36.9 KB

with the tracks fitted i put it in the car to see how it would look!

Name:  rJn8Kl.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  33.8 KB

You will have to bend the Adjustment Lever on the primary seat track so it will not hit the front of the seat but it bends easy and dont need to heat it. also you will need to trim the plastic on the side of the new seats so they wont drag on the carpet i trimmed mine about 1/2 or so

Name:  OiCeV.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  29.0 KB

This is the spacer i used its 5/16 ID and its nice and thick for strength i also used grade 8 Bolts washers and nylon locking nuts. when bolting the tracks down if you use hex head bolts make sure the sides of the bolt are parallel to the tracks that way the tracks will slide over them with out hitting i has this problem they dont hit much but this will solve it!

Name:  o5oV3.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  31.0 KB

Here are the installed pic!

Name:  SyzxSl.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  38.9 KB

I have about 3 1/2" of head room with this seat and 7" of steering wheel to seat clearance with the seat like you see in the pic and its like a whole new car driving around with those because your not trying to slide around like you do with the old seats

and yes i am going to get some blue seat covers until i can get enough money to get the seat redone in blue!

Last edited by Xargon321; 02-21-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added pics and fleshed out the build log
Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

how much heavier are the new seats than the originals? is it a pretty big difference in weight?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Looks like you'll sit higher, true?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Xargon321
2nd Gear Member

there dont seem to be much difference in weigh at least not that i can see just picking up the seats. and yes you will sit probably about 1" taller
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

It appears more than 1" taller unless that seat cushion is a lot softer and compresses. Sit in the new seat and measure from the top of your head to the headliner, then sit in the drivers and do the same then post the measurements for us tall guys.
Also measure thigh to steering wheel clearance, new seat looks like it might be a tight squeeze between the wheel/seat.
Jon
Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Xargon321
2nd Gear Member

Believe it or not there is not much difference between the new seat and old the center seating area is about the same height as the old seat. i am 6' tall and was worried about the wheel clearance too and it feels the same as the old seat. i will try and get the measurements tomorrow just to make sure but i have no problem fitting in it and boy it sure is waaaayyy more comfortable. also in that shot of the passenger side the seat was not bolted down and may have been leaning back a bit.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

What was the need for adding the spacers? did the seat make contact with the carpet or just the seat risers?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Xargon321
2nd Gear Member

there was a metal bar the runs under the seat frame by about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch its used to secure the seat skin it would dig into the carpet and not let the seat move if i just bolted it to the bottom of the frame if you can devise another way to secure the skin im sure you could use smaller spacers or none at all.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
ezstang
1st Gear Member

I am very interested in this modification and have already located a pair of 07 Leather buckets in great shape! I also have someone interested in my existing seats. Can you please send more pictures and anymore more information you have on this. I have till Thursday to make my decision on these seats. Thanks in advance

Last edited by ezstang; 02-21-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

They are about 3/4" taller when you use the 07' brackets. I used the 07' brackets cuz I have the electric seats. They sure are nice!!! I'm 5'10" and I still have ALMOST 2" left but any taller and forget it without removing the seat housing.

Quick Reply: 07 Mustang seats into a 65 Mustang!!