Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Coupe Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Aggiebq86
1st Gear Member

Default 67 Coupe Subwoofer

I'm looking to add a sub to the 67 coupe I just got my daughter. Does anyone have any photos of installations? I'm just wanting something to give it a little extra oomph without being too much.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM
1967coupeon101
2nd Gear Member

I dont have photos, but installing a sub in a classic mustang is a piece of cake. are you going to have it installed or do it yourself? make sure you invest in enough dynamat to at least cover the trunk or you will get a lot of rattle.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Aggiebq86
1st Gear Member

I'll be doing the install myself. Should the amp be mounted in the trunk or can it go under the rear seat? What about the sub? I have heard I should mount it facing into the trunk area instead of the back of the seat. I just installed a rear seat/trunk divider but I imagine that fiber board isn't strong enough to support either the amp or a sub. I don't want to give up a lot of trunk space for the sub. Should I mount the sub in mdf and cut a penetration through the divider for the rear of the sub to go into the area behind the seat? Should I mount the mdf so it is separated from the divider and give up some trunk space?

Maybe a tube type sub in the trunk? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_204BTA6...00.html?tp=114

Should I look at a sub like this to go under the rear seat? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KSCS...10.html?tp=114

I don't have a lot of experience with car audio equipment but I am pretty mechanically (and somewhat electrically) inclined.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 AM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

No under the seat crap!

A tube would be a simple install and good sound for you. It might not shake the ground but that your call. Mount it right behind the seat and you still have lots of trunk space! I would go 10" and use a lot of sound deadener. nothing worse than hearing loud music with tons of rattles going with it!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I did this to my 66. It's 5/8 MDF IIRC. I didn't have the divider so I had to make a template. You should be able to use your divider as a template. It sounds great and doesn't waste trunk space.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

speakers are designed to be mounted in certain applications. Very few speakers are infinite baffle type (like above) so thet could make a good sub sound like crap. And you could also put a cheap sub like a Kicker in a good box and make them sound great. I usually port my enclosures through the rear deck, but im usually going for maximum bass. When it ported through the rear deck, you reduce the chance of rattle because the air pressure is directed into the interior and not the trunk area..
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM
ProblemHouston
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
speakers are designed to be mounted in certain applications. Very few speakers are infinite baffle type (like above) so thet could make a good sub sound like crap. And you could also put a cheap sub like a Kicker in a good box and make them sound great. I usually port my enclosures through the rear deck, but im usually going for maximum bass. When it ported through the rear deck, you reduce the chance of rattle because the air pressure is directed into the interior and not the trunk area..
+1 to ^^^

not only that but if your trunk is anything like mine it's not totally sealed from the cabin as you would want it to be in that type of set up. Not knocking it in any way as I wanted to do the same thing in mine until I took the backseat out. Now I am too thinking of going with a pair of subs in a ported box with the subs firing forward and the port going through the rear deck as well.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

I am in the process of finishing up my dual 12 inch subs in the 66.
The baffle fires into the back seat and also uses the 3 center cutouts on the package tray to allow sound pressure into the interior of the car. The trunk is acting as the cabinet. Polarity is reversed on the subs so they will be in phase with the other speakers

Pics and info: http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id40.html
I will be adding more pictures to the website

Last edited by chris66dad; 02-28-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Now that you are done beating me up, I would like you to listen to it sometime.
I had these in a band pass enclosure and that took up the trunk, so it was either get rid of the enclosure or get rid of the subs. If it is just some low end that you are trying to make up for then this is more than adequate, if you are playing your Lil Wayne then not so much.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 PM
1967coupeon101
2nd Gear Member

I would mount the amp directly to the sub, and get easy disconnect adapters so that you can take both the subs/box and amp out - in 10 seconds - at the same time because lord knows how easy it is to pop the trunk locks in these cars. There would go some expensive equipment. Of course if its garaged at all times and theres always an eye on it you can do whatever you like... just my suggestion

Quick Reply: 67 Coupe Subwoofer