Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 mustang coupe

Also, If it is idling real high, when you put it in gear it will defiantly clunk. Hopefully that is solved when you fix the idle. Make sure there is oil in the tranny, low levels will cause clunking and much worse issues.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Under Constant Construction!
oxfordbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 77 II, 06 GT
Send a message via AIM to my77stang Send a message via MSN to my77stang Send a message via Yahoo to my77stang

I had a 570 once, the 600 holley was SOOOOOO much better. That being said you should be able to get 'er dialed in with what you've got. +1 for clunking while going into gear because it's idling high. Even if the trans is leaky the front and rear seals and new pan gasket are super cheap so if it shifts ok once you idle it down i wouldn't worry about shelling out for a replacement (especially a piece of **** AOD)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
danhiman

Vehicle: 1968, Ford, Mustang

Sure will, thanks for the input. I will post when I make progress. I just bought a timing gun. I've been working on 944s so I didn't need one.
danhiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
groho
4th Gear Member

Your high idle and clunk into gear is the same symptoms seen when the vacuum line is bad or split at the tail end of the tranny, into the vacuum modulator. That line runs between the vacuum modulator, passenger side of the tranny's tail, up to the rear of the intake manifold. It's a quick check, and simple to correct. I suggest you take a glance before get too deep into your carb.
groho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
danhiman

I am planning on lifting the car to inspect the tranny for cracks as well. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
danhiman

I checked the vacuum line and it seems fine. The belly tray on the tranny was loose so i gently tightened the bolts. When I disconnected the vacuum line next to the trann vacuum line going into the intake manifold, the idle in park did go down slightly. The idle while in gear is good, its high while in park.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
danhiman

Am I suppose to have the automatic transmission bracket for this carb?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

A vacuum leak doesn't necessarily have to come from a vacuum line. The carb may not be sitting tight down against the manifold (or spacer). If the carb is snugged down fairly tight, it may need a gasket between the carb and manifold.
gjz30075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
djklein21

Vehicle: 1965 & 2005 Convertibles

spray some carb cleaner around all the connections to check for a vacuum leak. If the idle changes when u spray it, u know u found the leak.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #20
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 68 stang,67coug,70cutty

Do you know where the idle adjustment is? are you turning the correct one? Did someone open the secondaries too far at that adjusment? There are many adjusments that could have been made. i would first spary carb fluid around the base to check there for vac leaks.

if this screw has been turned too far it will make the idle high as well Click the image to open in full size.
68dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1968, 302, 68, barrel, carb, carburetor, cost, exhaust, images, intake, line, mustang, rebuild, setup, vacuum