Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
JMD
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 39 Ford

I am NOT a fan of the "mini" or "hi-torque" starters for these cars. Give me a old, heavy ***, antique, $30 starter for my Ford every time.

I was forced to use a late, small, light, and expensive gear reduction unit on my 39 due to space considerations... it has already proven to be a problem.

IMO Fords "old style" cranking system was one of Fords "better ideas".
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
emttrevor
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 ford mustang

If it still gives you issues it may be that the starter is staying in or your headers may be throwing off too much heat and are too close to starter then you can try to insulate the starter
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
hockman5

Vehicle: 1966 Mustang GT

Please keep us informed as I am having the same problem. Car doesn't even get warm and it won't start. I can run it for 3 minutes, turn it off and it won't start for 2 hours. It has spark, gas, started turns over normally, just no ignite. Timing is set at 6deg BTDC. Runs fine when it starts.
hockman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
CPTCO
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

So does it turn over normally at first and then drain the battery? I was having that problem with a Cougar once. Car would start fine cold. Drove fine,but wouldn't start hot. Turned out to be the vacuum advance believe it or not.

Performance White-Sonic Blue Stripes-Roush TVS 2300-Pypes Violators Axle Backs-Pypes X Pipe-FRPP 4.10 Gears-MGW-BBK LCAs
CPTCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
15, 1966, 1969, anfter, car, hard, heat, hot, intake, minutes, mustang, off, s197, soak, start, turn, wont