Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 coupe just purchased. Rear leaf hagers are fugly

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Take a deep breath, there are still cars out there. Hopefully the parts for the jeep will add to value if you have to sell to put money towards another car. I'd take this as a sign that you may have saved yourself a big headache and may have found issues with the car upon receiving. Maybe something will come up closer to home that you can test drive and comb over first.
Jon
Old 04-01-2012, 12:45 AM
zzkvsl

Default 68 leaf spring

I have a 68 coupe that is sagging in the back the previous owner had put air shocks on it. I just ordered new springs and shocks but the car also has 15inch wheels , will the standard replacement springs work?

thanks
mark
Old 04-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Should work fine, 14" were original so as long as the backspacing is correct and tires aren't overly wide you should be good. You can always deplete the airshocks or take them off before you get the new leafs to see if the tires rub when the car sags back down.
Jon
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 AM
zzkvsl

Thanks Jon, is was hoping when I put on the new leaves they will take it up to level. Im a littled worried what those air shochs have done to the body, don't know how long they have been there.

Mark
Old 04-02-2012, 02:33 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I'm not chiming in here to tell anyone what to do but I have heard numerous times in the past to avoid air shocks however I have had nothing but good things to say about them. I like my restomod classics to have a good stance and tend to run larger wheels and have used air shocks for years problem free. This includes having them installed on a 66 coupe that the underside was so rusty that it shouldn't have been on the road but the air shocks are still in place and have never busted through the floor. I drove this car for 8 years this way too and now am finally doing a complete restoration to make the car safe and solid. I also am running the air shocks on my 65 fastback and they have been on the car for 6 years now. I drive this car to a car show every weekend in the summer and have had no problems. Again, I'm not going to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't do but will voice my opinion when I feel appropriate.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
zzkvsl

thanks , that makes me feel a little better, still plan to put on the new springs and gas shocks , but now I am not as worried that soemthing might have gone wrong.......I know every car is a bit different ....

thanks
mark
Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I was not so lucky with the airshocks I took off my '70 20yrs. ago, solid car but the airshocks (which had min. pressure in them) cracked the floor board on both sides of the car and almost punched through on one side. I had to remove the tank and pay a guy to weld in plates to cover/reinforce the cracks. Airshocks are made to support weight/lift TMK, which is the job of the springs. The majority of time they are used as a bandaid to avoid replacing worn out springs.
YMMV,
Jon