Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what are my stock heads worth

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default what are my stock heads worth

I am putting trick flow heads on this week. I have my stock 289 heads that have been ported with really good lunati springs, valve job, screw in studs, guide plats and magnum roller rockers.
I am thinking about putting them on CL but dont know what king of price to ask. I actually have over $900 into them.

Anyone think i can get $600 or is that too much
Old 03-18-2012, 11:47 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Flow numbers or a dyno sheet would help prove what they can make. Otherwise you won't get much for the heads. If they didn't go quickly, I would sell the rockers seperately.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 AM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Ill buy them for 200!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

For $200 id rather let them sit on a shelf for a future project. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
For $200 id rather let them sit on a shelf for a future project. Thanks for the offer though.
Let me know if you come up with a number. I didnt mean to insult you.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:42 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordbp
Ill buy them for 200!
That's a fair offer considering the buys out there on other proven heads.

Monsterbilly,

If you don't post the improvements to the head you won't get anything for them. Were the intake valves replaced with larger valves? What springs are on the head? Pressure at seat? Seat height? Coil bind? pressure at 0.xxx lift?

Chances are the next guy will have to replace the springs too. Assuming the heads and cam were properly matched, the heads need to go with the cam and lifters. The cam may not be optimized for the new combo.

Last edited by OCHOHILL; 03-19-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

meet him half way 300!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

What year are they? If they are pre-67 they have a smaller chamber, and can be used for a compression bump.

It kinda comes down to who ported them, if it was DIY many consider the heads to be junk, or close to it. Nobody trusts a privateer with a die grinder.

Sell the rockers first and then try and get the $300 for the heads, but considering a running 289 can be found for $400 it may be tough..
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, stock heads just aren't worth anything unless they're hi-po's, and even then only to a person who needs a set with your specific date code. You're definitely not going to get the $900 you put into them. You can buy a set of Edelbrock E-street heads for about that price.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

OxFord, Im not insulted in any way.

I know im going to get close to what i have into them. In fact, if I would have known i was going to end up with that much into them i would have bought the trick flows to begin with.

I was more looking for what they are worth than looking for offers.

They were ported at Kelleys machine shop here in Phoenix. They did a nice job, they are 66 heads out of my 66. They have newer valves (same size) and had a valve job done as well as new seals. The springs are Lunati dual springs and I am not sure of the bind but my cam has a .0538 lift (which is pretty good sized and they dont bind with It) the heads also were milled .005 as well.

I will post pics later im too tired from work now.

I will let you know if im interested in sending them your way one i fire up my car with the new heads on it.

Quick Reply: what are my stock heads worth