Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need a quality front bumper... maybe

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
WoodyJ

Default Need a quality front bumper... maybe

I'm in the process of finishing a 67 Shelby clone. I purchased the 67 fastback from an older gentalman who had collected all the parts to clone into a GT 350. Everything from the SW gauges, roll bar, fiberglass, tail light housing, emblems...etc.

I believe the fiberglass all came from Tony B. The nose actually fits really well, although there was some time spent getting it and the hood to fit as nice as it does.
This weekend I installed the front bumper with the new Shelby bumper brackets and it fits well with the exception of the corners of the bumper sticking out about 1 1/4 inches away from the fendor. The new corner brackets (the one that bolt through the fenders) line up and fit, but the bumpers are still 1 1/4 away from the fender. I see some others that look the same way on the net, but it's hard to tell from a picture.

Is this really how the front bumper should fit? IMO this looks like crap!
I won't say where I purchased the bumper, but the quality stinks. The chrome is good, but it has waves in it.
I called around today and most of the companies I talked to said they are all getting their bumpers from the same source, so I might end up with the same thing.
Is there a company selling a better bumper and is there a bumper that actually fits (closer to the fenders) ?
I'm actually thinking for cutting off 1/2 an inch on each side, rewelding it and having it re-chromed.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I would have to say that most are like yours. I know mine is. It sucks that they can't just match the original. How tough is that. I hung on to my old one just for this reason.