Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM
clittleton07

Default Steering Issues

Hi guys,
I have a 65 mustang vert and last summer I did the shelby drop, popped on some new wheels and tires, slapped on some caltracs, and got it aligned. Since I have done all this the steering has felt extremely loose, far too loose to drive over 50 for an extended period of time. I went to the local dragrace shop and they assured me that it is in the alignment but that the steering settup on these old cars leaves some to be desired. So I was thinking about going with a Unisteer manual rack and pinion kit for my car. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kit or any other kit. How much of a difference did it make? Was it worth it? I mainly use my car as a cruiser but I do enjoy taking it to the dragstrip on occasion. I do not have any intention of taking this car to a track or trying to corner with it. I just want it to track straight and feel safer at speed.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I have some experience with rack and pinions. So far they have done a good job. On your car, if this is something new then I'd re-do the alignment. Try to find someone that has experience with these old cars. Most of the people that "try" to align these cars do just that, they try. Also, your box may be worn out. That could explane the loose feeling. I have absolutely no problem driving these old cars provided that some alterations are done. The Shelby drop, roller spring perches and a "good" alignment and your good to go. You will learn that these old suspensions can be tuned to keep up with or out perform most modern suspensions built today.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

do you have manual steering or power. If it is power, check the power valve. this seems similar to a problem i had. I rebuilt the power valve and it help a lot.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Also if power steering and you have a drop bracket for headers, make sure its not pulling out the nut plates or flexing their. And make sure the nut on the ram cylinder is tight. This aways happened to me after i did the shelby drop and lowering springs. But my car with power steering i would take it 85 down the highway and it felt tight. I dont think the steering is that bad in the old cars when everything is tight and nothing is loose or flexing. I would jack the car up leaving the front end hanging and have someone turn the wheel back and forth slightly and look for thing moving that shouldnt be and sloppy joints.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 AM
clittleton07

It has manual steering. Thanks for the responses guys, Im going to check out my car again later this week.
Chris
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67 evil eleanor
Try to find someone that has experience with these old cars. Most of the people that "try" to align these cars do just that, they try. Also, your box may be worn out. That could explane the loose feeling. I have absolutely no problem driving these old cars provided that some alterations are done. The Shelby drop, roller spring perches and a "good" alignment and your good to go. You will learn that these old suspensions can be tuned to keep up with or out perform most modern suspensions built today.
This is very true!! I had problems with my old Mustangs and loose steering until I finally found a shop that is familiar with the classics. They aligned them so well that even at 80 mph the car handles very well. A good alignment will make a worlds of difference.