Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Windshield, who do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Default Windshield, who do you use?

Do you buy from the standard places that fix modern car windshields? Do you buy from a specialty shop then have a normal install?

Are there any things to think about on the 69? Does the trim come off without damage? Can I reuse the clips?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The 69 used a butyl seal, so is a more common installation. Any local glass shop should be able to get the glass. A Mustang supplier should be able to do this, with better support. The moulding is aluminum, so be careful with it.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Rumors fly that replacement glass is not as thick as original, which often results in leaks around the rubber seal.. original glass is best.. is this true?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
Rumors fly that replacement glass is not as thick as original, which often results in leaks around the rubber seal.. original glass is best.. is this true?
Good question, anyone know?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by groho

well on a 69 there is not rubber on the windshield....as for glass leaking with a new rubber its normally the installers lack of using bedding and glazing compound as the install calls for...or they glue it in with urethane which is also a no go...
Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I imagine you can buy a new windshield just about anywhere for any Mustang.

Not so for my 55 Lincoln, I saw one new windshield on eBay. $500 + shipping from ARGENTINA... I would have bought the damn thing if I thought it had a better than average chance of making it to me in one piece.

What, maybe a hundred bones installed for most older Mustangs?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

the front windshield on a 69 doesn't have a seal like the rear window or the earlier mustang. someone mentioned the style in a previous post. you can potentially get leaks where metal overlaps and creates a little divut.

the reproduction carlite glass for a 69 is tinted and i believe comes with the 70 style rearview mirror mount.

someone reported a new carlite measured .209 thick.

a few others reported the original glass to be 0.270 thick.

the clear class from ECS measured 0.255 thick

a common complaint for the thinner glass is a gap between the trim and windshield. it doesn't effect the seal.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:28 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDemon
the front windshield on a 69 doesn't have a seal like the rear window or the earlier mustang. someone mentioned the style in a previous post. you can potentially get leaks where metal overlaps and creates a little divut.

the reproduction carlite glass for a 69 is tinted and i believe comes with the 70 style rearview mirror mount.

someone reported a new carlite measured .209 thick.

a few others reported the original glass to be 0.270 thick.

the clear class from ECS measured 0.255 thick

a common complaint for the thinner glass is a gap between the trim and windshield. it doesn't effect the seal.

Would an automotive glass repair company replace it if I was to buy it? If not a special seal on a 69, what is used? Is it just the stuff those commercials speak of being heated to 180 degrees?

How easy is it to remove the trim on the front window?

Edit:
I just went to the ECS site and they have the glass as being carlite
ECS glass

Last edited by dmaclaren; 04-03-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Default rattle in the 1/4 window 69, what should be in the pin hole?

So, one of my 1/4 windows rattles when closed. I have not taken them out and I didn't want to until I really need to.

So, at the top of the window where the pin sits in the window cup(not sure what to call it) is where the rattle is as the pin hits the sides. The other side does not make any noise. I assume, but am not sure, there is some rubber washer or the like inside the cup.

What is in there to stop that lose play and it hitting the side?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:53 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmaclaren
Would an automotive glass repair company replace it if I was to buy it? If not a special seal on a 69, what is used? Is it just the stuff those commercials speak of being heated to 180 degrees?

How easy is it to remove the trim on the front window?

Edit:
I just went to the ECS site and they have the glass as being carlite
ECS glass
carlite wouldn't install a windshield i purchased when i called them. i'm putting mine in myself.

most paint supply shops have the ribbon seal used for installing windshields in various widths. NPD sells the same stuff (3M brand and the 3/8" width seems to be commonly used).

ECS acid etches the Carlite logo on the glass per order. it's not carlite.