-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (
-   -   wood carb spacers (

Toastintx 04-05-2012 06:49 AM

wood carb spacers
are wood carb spacers any good, i mean do the hold up or will they deteriorate

69mach1377 04-05-2012 01:10 PM

Wood will absorb fuel and may catch fire. There were wood looking ones made of a composite of some sort as well as black ones and aluminum spacers that are better.

Toastintx 04-05-2012 01:18 PM

Well the one I have is from Summit Racing, its an Edelbrock wood spacer

JMD 04-05-2012 08:53 PM

I have heard they work fine and are actually very good at insulating the carb from the manifold.

Would I sport one? IDK, I think I would so long as it wasn't left in natural finish. :D

It would bug me if I ever got asked why I have wood parts on my engine.. and "did all cars built in the 60s have wooden engine parts?? :D

FWIW, if I had already bought a wood spacer I would try it for sure. (but I would paint it).

musnicki 04-05-2012 10:26 PM

I have an aluminum one. I put on a spacer to keep heat off of my carb. The wood one probably would do a better job and keeping heat from the manifold to the carb. My carb still gets kinda warm and it bugs me.

Toastintx 04-05-2012 10:39 PM

well this "wood" spacer doesnt look like wood, and i guess its probably as odd as putting phenolic on an engine! I'm just hoping that it holds up and doesnt deteriorate. lol

eZ 04-05-2012 11:06 PM

Phenolic > aluminum

kalli 04-06-2012 03:13 AM

musnicki: aluminum is about the worst you could possibly do to keep heat away from the carburetor. metal has a very high heat conductivity.
If you need to keep heat away get a phenolic spacer!
I have that one with open gasket at bottom and square bore gasket on top
obviously make sure the shape matches your carb and intake.

as for wood spacers, as long as they make phenolic ones, I don't see the point.
They won't soak up with petrol and water like wood would.

I think would will work, but for longetivity they are probably crap.
they would soak water and first winter they'd crack. you'd be chasing vacuum leaks forever. I think they were the cheap mans spacer when you could just make another one next week ...

andrewmp6 04-06-2012 05:27 AM

I believe they are made from press wood so it won't act like real wood will.

Starfury 04-06-2012 08:42 AM

I had a fiber/composite spacer, which is what I suspect you have rather than a piece of wood. It worked well for insulation, but eventually compressed and warped and I ditched it for a phenolic spacer.