Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

QTR. Windows, what's missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Default QTR. Windows, what's missing

So, both of my 1/4 windows on the 69 fastback rattle at the pin/cup.

I don't have a pic but the window, at the top, has a cup that the pin, from the upper bracket, sits into. The windows cup is larger than the pin and it rattles against the side.

So, was there a washer of some sort in there? I can't find it on line if there was. Should I just find one in a hardware store or pit in RTV sealant?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Its been awhile sence i messed with my quarter windows and im at work so i cant go look right now. However im pretty sure there is supposed to be a plastic bushing in there. I will take a look when i get home this afternoon if somebody else hasnt answered your question.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:55 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rtintwo
Its been awhile sence i messed with my quarter windows and im at work so i cant go look right now. However im pretty sure there is supposed to be a plastic bushing in there. I will take a look when i get home this afternoon if somebody else hasnt answered your question.
Anyone?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmaclaren
So, both of my 1/4 windows on the 69 fastback rattle at the pin/cup.

I don't have a pic but the window, at the top, has a cup that the pin, from the upper bracket, sits into. The windows cup is larger than the pin and it rattles against the side.

So, was there a washer of some sort in there? I can't find it on line if there was. Should I just find one in a hardware store or pit in RTV sealant?
i'm looking at a diagram and it indicates a small spacer (you're calling it a washer) of some sort that goes in that hole (with the rod going through it).
Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

looks like nylon. sorry i don't have the energy to remove it tonight.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Maybe it's a trip to Lowes to look at their washer odd drawer section. I get that it needs to be able to move (in/out) when closed for alignment issues.

I would thing 3 - 4 small washers should work.
I was also thinking putting in a bit of RTV sealant which would do the same and stay hidden without slowly riding up out of that cup.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:52 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmaclaren
Maybe it's a trip to Lowes to look at their washer odd drawer section. I get that it needs to be able to move (in/out) when closed for alignment issues.

I would thing 3 - 4 small washers should work.
I was also thinking putting in a bit of RTV sealant which would do the same and stay hidden without slowly riding up out of that cup.
your response confuses me. are you talking about stacking the washers and dropping them in the hole on the top side of the frame?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

If I can't find the right piece, which no luck to date, I will put the washers on the pin piece and reinstall the window. I found a couple diff sizes of the vacu-tite vacuum caps that may work if I get the right size.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

I found the perfect size and fit. I cut a little to make it shorter but it was like these rubber vacuum caps were made for this part.

1/4" was the exact fir and they work awesome.

I will pst a pic in a few of the package, I got them at Pep Boys.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Not as solid or durable as a nylon bushing, but it should last for years.

Quick Reply: QTR. Windows, what's missing