Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Long tube header install gone haywire!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
cheapstang68
1st Gear Member

Default Long tube header install gone haywire!

Hello all,
I recently purchased a set of Dynomax long tube headers for my 68 302. Well the issue is that I have basically tried everything short of pulling out the enigine to get them in. I have removed the plugs, wires, power steering box, brake master cylinder. andthey wont squeeze in. I have above the car and below the car. NOTHING WILL WORK!!! Are there any other options of install that I am missing?? Now my car is torn apart and I cant drive it, and that makes me sad. Thankfully its not my daily driver, but thats not the point.

PLEASE HELP>

Thanks,
Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 PM
KidsStang

I feel your pain, I,m fighting a pair of Hooker Headers for a 351w on a 69, I was able to install the passenger side headers from the top as well as the bottom, but I have a mini starter, so that side was easy. the drivers side goes in thru the bottom easily but i still have issues, I cant imagine trying to go from the top. Have you droped your steering linkage?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 PM
cheapstang68
1st Gear Member

I havent dropped the linkage, but I did move the gear box. Maybe Ill raise i a litle higher and try again.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Oh man I see this thread and I **** my pants, just ordered these
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H8403-1
For my 69 mustang with my new aod and power steering. If the freakin **** don't fit I'm gonna have a fit!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Kidsstang u got any pictures? What kinda 69 u got?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 AM
cheapstang68
1st Gear Member

Cyprs Stang-
I got them in. Well one that is. I was able to get it from the bottom. Had to remove the power steering box, master cylinder, a bunch of other stuff, but finally got it in. Ill have to do passenger side tomorrow, I herd that was the easy one.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 PM
cheapstang68
1st Gear Member

Ok......well they are in. The driver side took 3 1/2 hours, passenger side, 15 minutes. For a minute there, i thought it couldnt be done. But they are in. And holy crap its loud without the exhaust hooked up...
Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

When I install my ones on weekend ill start her up too and see how loud it is.....
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheapstang68
Cyprs Stang-
I got them in. Well one that is. I was able to get it from the bottom. Had to remove the power steering box, master cylinder, a bunch of other stuff, but finally got it in. Ill have to do passenger side tomorrow, I herd that was the easy one.

Would this issue be there with the shorties? Also, what if any dissadvantage is there with shorties?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

@dmaclaren: Long tubes flow better at high rpm, which is what they're designed to do. There is lots of info on this forum and the web on this subject. On a street driven car with relatively mild mods, shorties are probably a better choice for fitment and clearance issues.

Quick Reply: Long tube header install gone haywire!