Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

High lever estimate for a stroker kit or small HP increase

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:06 AM
ThetaTau87
1st Gear Member

I have a complete aluminum head 351 engine for sale. It should easily give you 400 hp. I don't have 50 posts yet so I haven't posted it in the classifieds here.

Complete engine from air cleaner to oil pan. Fully machined, balanced and ready to assemble with brand new parts. All tolerances verified by machine shop. Twisted Wedge aluminum heads, KB flat top pistons, Crane Cams roller rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 280 cam, 750 Holley carb, Edelbrock Torker II intake, Mallory Unilite distributor, full ARP fasteners for entire engine.

Most parts are brand new and still in the boxes with receipts. Let me know if you want more info. I'm asking less than a crate motor and significantly less than a stroker kit with all the supporting parts to get over 400hp. It's not assembled now, but I could assemble it before shipping it to you.

Lots more pics of all the parts here.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1133473...uxxcL1vu-EngE#
Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 AM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
I disagree. Assembly is cake with the right tools and attention to detail. It also ensures that it's being done correctly. Things like plasti-gaugeing the journals and adjusting the ring gap are sometimes ignored in a shop setting. It's also a great learning process.
i agree. however, many don't have the tools and too many rookies learn the fine details the hard way.

i've read plasti gauge is not the best method to measure journal clearance's. it seems a lot of these parts out of the box are not plug and play (i.e. may also be out of round).

i'm not sure where you are getting machine work done where they ignore journal clearances and don't check the ring gap.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Starfury, but I think it also depends on how mechanically inclined you are and how stocked your garage is with the tools required to put the engine together. The only reason why I agree with Buckeye is because the warranty the engine should come with from the builder.

Buckeye- What is the pricing for? 351 or 302? I would be interested in see it if you can PM it to me.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangatic

Buckeye- What is the pricing for? 351 or 302? I would be interested in see it if you can PM it to me.
windsor based.

PM your email to me.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

I am with buckeye on this one..I would have the machine shop assemble the shortblock..If you are mechanically inclined you can assemble the rest of the engine and still feel like you had a hand in building it...
Old 04-29-2012, 02:14 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
I am with buckeye on this one..I would have the machine shop assemble the shortblock..If you are mechanically inclined you can assemble the rest of the engine and still feel like you had a hand in building it...
If you have a good shop absolutely. I've usually had shops do short block assembly or at least do all the bearing clearance work since they have the right micrometers to get all the clearances perfect. Haven't used plasti-gauge since the 70s.

You could also have them balance the rotating assembly while they're at it. The 1990 302HO was not perfect, close enough probably yea but we made it better.

Ed Curtis is up in the NE near you, he might be able to make a recommendation on a shop. Send him an email http://www.flowtechinduction.com

Last edited by mr_velocity; 04-29-2012 at 02:18 PM.