Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

High lever estimate for a stroker kit or small HP increase

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Default High lever estimate for a stroker kit or small HP increase

So, I have an extra 74 351w that was rebuilt ans came with the car, it has been sitting for 2 years.

I would like to build it out to something between 350 - 400 hp. Nothing too nuts where I have to change soo many other things to account for the diff.

I have a top loader and a decent drive shaft with 9" rear.

So, labor only from a shop to put in the parts and or stroker kit I buy, what would you estimate Labor to be for it. 1x, 2x, 3x the cost of the kit?

Would I be better selling the 351 and picking up a crate motor?

I know the pieces that move in the engine and don't know what to do to build it so that's not something I am willing to take on at this point.

THanks.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

400 would be easy with the right heads, cam, intake and carb. Why stroke it? To get the power out of it you'll need to do the top end anyway.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Have you tried calling any engine builders?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
Have you tried calling any engine builders?
I have not, I was just trying to get some info here first. was thinking stroke kit as it's that, a kit. If not a kit, I would need to get someone to do all that for me as I don't know what to get.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
400 would be easy with the right heads, cam, intake and carb. Why stroke it? To get the power out of it you'll need to do the top end anyway.
+1....I would buy some good name brand cylinder heads like edelbrock,AFR or Trick flow..Top it off with an air gap intake and 700ish cfm carb and the right cam and some headers and you should easily meet your 350-400hp goal..
Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmaclaren
I have not, I was just trying to get some info here first. was thinking stroke kit as it's that, a kit. If not a kit, I would need to get someone to do all that for me as I don't know what to get.
If you are really set on stroking it a kit is the way to go..I bought a scat rotating assembly for my 408..It included forged pistons,cast crank,I beam capscrew rods and bearings and rings...It assembled very easily into my 351 block..Piecing together a bunch of parts is asking for trouble if you don't know what you are doing so a kit is definetely the way to go.....To build a stout stroker you can easily be in the $7-8000 dollar range by the time you are finished..
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

thing with forums is you'll get 10 different answers.Talk to somebody local with a set up you are looking for and see if they are happy with it.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

^I agree. Just don't talk to one builder, talk to a few and shop around. I was given an estimate of $400 just for the block work on a 351w (I planned on doing the assembly my self). my intention was to go to 408 as well! On that note, if your only shooting for 400 hp, see Mr_Velocity's post.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmaclaren
So, labor only from a shop to put in the parts and or stroker kit I buy, what would you estimate Labor to be for it. 1x, 2x, 3x the cost of the kit?

Would I be better selling the 351 and picking up a crate motor?

I know the pieces that move in the engine and don't know what to do to build it so that's not something I am willing to take on at this point.

THanks.
i have a complete partlist with every nut and bolt, machining cost, etc, if interested, in an excel sheet.

machine work for the short block/components for a stroker totaled $1150. Expect around $350 to assembly the short block.

the savings in labor costs of assembling the motor yourself are minimal and not worth the risk in my opinion.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I disagree. Assembly is cake with the right tools and attention to detail. It also ensures that it's being done correctly. Things like plasti-gaugeing the journals and adjusting the ring gap are sometimes ignored in a shop setting. It's also a great learning process.

Quick Reply: High lever estimate for a stroker kit or small HP increase