Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suggestions on steering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

FWIW, I like my Borgeson P/S box. No leaks and pretty crisp when you get an adjustable pump like a KRC. It fits fine with my hooker headers. You will need to build a custom Z bar and use banjo fittings if you have a manual tranny.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

If you guys are comparing a ball & sector box to a rack and pinion you have never actually driven a vintage car with a rack.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
If you guys are comparing a ball & sector box to a rack and pinion you have never actually driven a vintage car with a rack.
Huh? Of course a rack is a superior steering set up to normal steering boxes. The issue is they are are two to three times the cost and then they do not feel like muscle car and are now something like a Fusion.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

No, it is for the drivers side only. However it relocates the ram so it should no longer hit. Can you post a pic.
Im am almost certain that if you did not install the drop bracket on the drivers side then this is your problem.
Please post up a pic of where it is hitting.
I just say this because I had the same issue when I installed mine. I had no idea that it was a must do with long tube headers.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

just to throw a correction here. The power steering drop bracket IS NOT for the pump. It relocates the drivers side end of the RAM! I can post a pic if you wish. I know because I had a similar issue and this was the solution. Please post a couple pics and show us where it is hitting.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
Huh? Of course a rack is a superior steering set up to normal steering boxes. The issue is they are are two to three times the cost and then they do not feel like muscle car and are now something like a Fusion.

My rack was $775 shipped and I have no bump steer. It was cheaper than replacing everything else at once and removed many points of failure.

Also, many of the original Cobra's used a Rack and pinion, I would rather compare my steering to that then a Fusion thank you.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the steering hits my tri-y's on my 65 fastback....i plan on taking a hammer and putting a dimple where it rubs my headers were cheap like 129$ from NPD years ago
Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
My rack was $775 shipped and I have no bump steer. It was cheaper than replacing everything else at once and removed many points of failure.

Also, many of the original Cobra's used a Rack and pinion, I would rather compare my steering to that then a Fusion thank you.
How difficult to steer with manual. I'm putting together a 66 for my daughter and need to put new steering in place. She's 5 foot 105 lbs - little thing - is she going to struggle with it in parking lots?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yes she probably would...im 386# 6 ft tall i can turn the steering with with 1 hand sitting still with 17x8's up front with the stock box...

a manual rack is gonna be pretty tough to turn the wheel it takes more effort to turn the same size wheel in my foxbody with the manual rack i installed
Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
just to throw a correction here. The power steering drop bracket IS NOT for the pump. It relocates the drivers side end of the RAM! I can post a pic if you wish. I know because I had a similar issue and this was the solution. Please post a couple pics and show us where it is hitting.
Sorry, I stand corrected.

Pale, your daughter would definitely have a hard time turning that car with m/s, even with a 5-turn box. I'd also be worried about the brakes. Power brakes aren't a necessity for most people, but I wouldn't want my daughter (who will probably be about that size in 10 years) to try stopping a m/b car in an emergency situation.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on steering?