Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

head and top end choices for my 347 short block

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default head and top end choices for my 347 short block

Good day fellas

I am helping a buddy complete a 65 build. Currently it is in my garage and we have a 347 short block with an eagle rotating assembly on the stand. I need to purchase heads, cam, intake, carb to complete it and am looking for suggestions. I dont mind spending some $ but I am looking for the best bang for the buck. The car will be a street car with a/c and driven only for fun. It will also have a T5 in it along with an 8.8 rear end that i have already altered to fit.

I was looking at this package, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DR...0102/?rtype=10

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2091/

I do know that i will need to call summit and ask if they can provide 190cc runners rather than the included 170s
Old 05-20-2012, 06:38 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
Good day fellas

I am helping a buddy complete a 65 build. Currently it is in my garage and we have a 347 short block with an eagle rotating assembly on the stand. I need to purchase heads, cam, intake, carb to complete it and am looking for suggestions. I dont mind spending some $ but I am looking for the best bang for the buck. The car will be a street car with a/c and driven only for fun. It will also have a T5 in it along with an 8.8 rear end that i have already altered to fit.

I was looking at this package, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DR...0102/?rtype=10

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2091/

I do know that i will need to call summit and ask if they can provide 190cc runners rather than the included 170s
Hi
Due to the potential of the 347, the 185-190 runner is a minimum choice, not to mention this will come with 2.02 inlets etc. Since you are seeking a street warrior with attitude, the choice in heads, cam, and CR will be very important to maximize the potential of those cubes. Don't get too big with the cam choice or the engine's street manners will suffer. I'm a fan of roller set-ups and custom designed cam. The grinder will recommend a static CR, but, I'm guessing somewhere in the 10.0-10.5 will work. To get there, you'll need to CC the heads, and the piston tops. As to the intake, a Performer RPM air gap would serve well. A custom built carb by ProSystems would nicely top-off the intake.
Being a street car, build more for torque as this will be what you feel in your "Butt-O-Meter".
Good luck!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I already have the short bolck assembled, Do I need to remove the pistons to CC them or can that be done by taking the #1 to TDC and do it that way.
THis is only my second engine build so I have a lot to learn. I do agree with the 10-10.5 CR.
Im not sure I want to get that custom as far as having a custom built cam and carb. THis is not my car it is a friends and it is in my garage. I kinda want to get it together within the next couple months so I can have my garage back.

What about head choice? What about these? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51400010-C02/

It is a roller block, I am looking at cam choices as well. I am fine with the airgap intake. I have had that on a car in the past and like the performance. I was thinking about a Street Demon carb
Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I already have the short bolck assembled, Do I need to remove the pistons to CC them or can that be done by taking the #1 to TDC and do it that way.
THis is only my second engine build so I have a lot to learn. I do agree with the 10-10.5 CR.
Im not sure I want to get that custom as far as having a custom built cam and carb. THis is not my car it is a friends and it is in my garage. I kinda want to get it together within the next couple months so I can have my garage back.

What about head choice? What about these? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51400010-C02/

It is a roller block, I am looking at cam choices as well. I am fine with the airgap intake. I have had that on a car in the past and like the performance. I was thinking about a Street Demon carb
HI,
OK. If those pistons are dished or have valve reliefs, you will need to determine the CCs or volume of the displacement. Contact the piston mfg, they will have that information. The heads you will know. However, there is math involved and there are several CR calculators on the web that will help you determine the CR. Do you know what info you need to determine CR. Has the block been "zero" decked? Before you buy a head gasket you'll need to know what compressed thickness you need. I can understand if this seems a bit over whelming, but, once you see the pieces needed it's the "slog" work to put them together. Just realize, when a piston mfg states they are 10.1 or 11.1 does not meant it's magic.
To determine CR, you need:
If not a Zero deck block, you need to "+" or "-" how much the piston is above or below the deck.
You need Piston CCs (unless absolutely flat)
You need the head chamber volume CCs
You need to know the compressed volume of the head gasket and the bore dia. Most mfgs state this on their packaging it could range from .039 to .044, for example
You'll need to know the piston bore
You'll need to know that the area above between the top ring and sidewall to the top of the piston is roughly 2 CCs
Try this calculator on for size:http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

Also, know a custom cam grinder is not going to be that much more than a big box, off the shelf vendor. Their value is learning from you those finite details about what you are seeking and the spec details of your engine combo/rear/ and tranny.
Also, you do know you will have to learn how to check push rod geometry and all of the specs for making sure the cam thrust is within specs etc.
Hope this helps a bit more.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Best bang for the buck is Fordstrokers.com. Woody is the owner. You will pay summit prices (more or less) and get heads set up correctly for the cam. I recommend the custom cam because it is normally within a few dollars of an off the shelf cam of equal caliber. Plus, you get the expert advice of someone who has built literally 1,000's of sbf.

You did not note the piston, a part number would help, or the exhaust. This would be a factor in head and cam choice.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:11 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OCHOHILL
Best bang for the buck is Fordstrokers.com. Woody is the owner. You will pay summit prices (more or less) and get heads set up correctly for the cam. I recommend the custom cam because it is normally within a few dollars of an off the shelf cam of equal caliber. Plus, you get the expert advice of someone who has built literally 1,000's of sbf.

You did not note the piston, a part number would help, or the exhaust. This would be a factor in head and cam choice.

+1 for Ford Strokers
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Ill look up the piston part #s. they are part of an eagle rotating assembly from summit and they are .30 over