Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help with timing

Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Question Help with timing

I havent set timing in a long time. I have a new light and I know how to set it up and use it.

I am just trying to get maximum performance out of my 2-4 barrel swap. She runs and drives no problem, but I feel it is lacking power. She runs hot and I read somewhere that timing could help that issue.

My damper has a nice white mark at 10*. I set it by ear and she wants more then 24* according to my advance gun dial. I only stopped at 24* cause my vacuum advance was hitting my upper rad hose.

Now most 302 motors I have seen the timing pointer is on the #1 cylinder side, mine is on the to the right of the dizzy. Not sure if that is correct?

I dont know how to time properly, as in TDC, BTDC and ATDC and all that stuff.

Please help!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

I also bought a vacuum guage. Not sure if it is correct or not. the needle is at 10 out the box not 0. Anyway when hooked up to the constant vacuum on the carb, it reads 24, but is not steady. It will jump a few degrees up and down, but I can hear the motor rpm raise and lower as well...

I have checked for vac leaks and havent found any and I just cleaned out the carb internals.

Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:11 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

set it to about 36-38 total timing (no vacuum connected).

it you set your initial to 24 you may have a difficult time starting it when hot. it may also set your total beyond what typical 302s like. my MSD distributor uses bushings that will limit the mechanical advance so you can set 24 degrees iniitla and still limit it to 38 total (as an example).
Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

How do I set "total timing"?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:34 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

rev the engine until you see the timing stops advancing. it will probably happen somewhere around 3000rpm. then rotate your distributor and set it around 36-38 (or whatever someone with a stock type 302 recommends).

if you want different initial timing, faster/slower advance, then you'll need to understand how to adjust your distributor.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:42 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Well If i disconnect the vac advance, how will it advance when reved up?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

it advances with the mechanical advance (weights that advance the distributor with RPM). your vacuum advance adds to the mechanical advance.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:49 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Oh ok. Now I dont have a tach so how would you suggest I move forward?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

just rev it until you see it stop advancing. then move the distributor. i was just saying your mechanical advance would be maxed out in the vicinity of 3000 rpm.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Okay, i just went out there and started from ground 0.

Pulled plug #1 and found TDC. It was right on the mark on my damper.

I pulled the vac line at the dizzy and plugged it on the carb and dizzy.

put it back together, started it and out the light on it. I think i messed up and dont know how to use my advance light correctly, but I got it to run smoother, and took it out for a run up hill with NO pinging or detonation.

I THINK I am at about 30-36 total timing as you described. However, it is now really hard to start after warmed up, and my tempeture is high, but the headers look normal. I might have an issue with my temp from a different souce, but thought timing could help.

What now?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with timing