Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

T5 conversion, Question on driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
KidsStang

Default T5 conversion, Question on driveshaft

Hello, Anyone out there with a T5 conversion, did you have to cut down your drive shaft, how much? Did you keep your yoke or buy an aftermarket, I tried to install the driveshaft last weekend and it would probaly work but there was little to no extra yoke left, probaly too tight right?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Gun Jam

yeah most of us have to cut the DS and a good number of us wish we had never wasted time messing around with the old DS... Do yourself a favor and get a new 3" aluminum one from Denny's Driveshaft online with new u joints and slip yoke the works.

If you insist on messing around with the old one either because of finical reasons or you just want to be stubborn I would measure careful like and make sure to get about 0.750 to 0.900 inch of free play between the tailshaft oil seal flange and the end of the machining on the slipyoke. This distance is measured with the car on the ground as it would when driving. Also get a new slip yoke and make sure the tail shaft bushing is new.

Failure to heed any of these warnings could result in a serious drive line vibration issue that is potentially dangerous.

Good luck

-Gun
Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Listen to GunJam!!!! he is right on. I would go into detail but i am sick and tired of even talking about the issues i had.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

We might be going to the Aluminum shaft and would have the one from our conversion left over. Its a perfect DS and was done right. We are coming to Springfield Mo in about 7 weeks if you wanted to buy it from us.

We are in Cali right now btw.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If you have a big diesel shop around you ask if they can make you a driveshaft.I have used one by me for years its easy and no shipping to mess with.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:27 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Mine didn't need cutting, I have right at 1 inch.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I didnt cut mine either.Had a C4 before.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 PM
KidsStang

I found a place that will cut down and balance the drive shaft, Appropriatly named , Driveshaft Unlimited, But why must a new yoke be used? The old one seems to fit.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:51 PM
The_Dude
1st Gear Member

I'm going from a 3-speed to a T5. I was told my old yoke would work fine.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You need a new slip yoke because the parts suppliers want to sell you one. Glazier/Nolan checks whether you need one before telling you to shell out $100.

About 80% of the time time your old driveshaft will fit just fine. If you can get it into place with the wheels hanging, you'll get a little clearance when you pop the rear joint into the pinion yoke, and tighten the u bolts. When you put the car on the ground, the slip yoke will slide farther out of the trans, giving you a comfortable amount of clearance.

Quick Reply: T5 conversion, Question on driveshaft