Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front suspension question: regarding tire rub

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:05 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Default Front suspension question: regarding tire rub

Car: 67 fastback
Front tires: 17" 245s
Fenders: Are NOT rolled.

Question: From time to time, my front tires will get "pushed up" into my fender and wheel opening trim. For example, today I was making a left hand turn at an intersection. The pavement between the two roads wasn't exactly a smooth transition, and my passenger side front tire was "pushed up" into my fender. (no damage to the fender, but chews up the tire a little)

Is the coil spring the culprit and weak? Or is the shock absorber responsible to handle that transistion?

I dont drive it crazy, I do try to be carefull, but it sure seems like it should handle those "transisitions" and "speed bumps" better than that! ;o)

Please give me your suggestions.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:33 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

You listed two problems you got, roll your fenders and or get a smaller tire and your problem will go away. I would try rolling the fenders first as that would probably fix your problem.
Lynn
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shelbymustangdan
Is the coil spring the culprit and weak? Or is the shock absorber responsible to handle that transition?
Tire size and wheel offset are the culprit. You should never depend on springs or shocks to prevent tire contact. Sooner or later a RR crossing or pothole overcomes stiff shocks or springs. If rolling the fenders will give the needed clearance, do it. Ford did, on the 69-70 BOSS. Otherwise, you'll have to consider a change in wheel, tire, or both.

Mustang Wheel and Tyre Chart