Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help! Weekend Ruiner...won't run (w/ video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:37 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Default Help! Weekend Ruiner...won't run (w/ video) (Updated)

So I just did 300 miles last weekend and had the car running fine yesterday. Now all of a sudden she won't fully start. She starts to turn over and can even run poorly for a few second (200-300rpm) but if I let off the gas she dies.

Thinking logically:

-Plugs and Pertronix 2 are less than 1yr/7k miles old?
-Maybe the fuel pump is on its way out?
-Newish Holley carb (1yr) could be malfuntioning but I just ran a system cleaner through her...Lucas
- Starter is believe to be fairly new
- Alternator is less than a year old
- All dials read normal (oil, gas, temp, voltage)

http://youtu.be/zUcX8QiDar0

Thoughts?

Last edited by wgc68nyc; 06-02-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:24 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

what happens when you turn the idle up? whats the timing at?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Yeah start with timing, check the simple stuff first. That idle is really rough, seems like its miss firing or possibly has a vacuum leak somewhere. Rent a vacuum gauge if you dont have one handy, inspect the wires, plugs and rotor/cap too. Im leaning towards it being a spark issue
Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Timetravelinn
1st Gear Member

co-sign with ez, I'd check to see if the distributor hold down came loose and maybe bumped your timing.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

tap on the carb with the plastic end of a screw driver the floats might be stuck
Old 06-02-2012, 05:52 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

So after letting it sit for a bit I came back with a camera and light to check things out. I noticed the front sight glass on the carb was almost empty while the back was full. I attempted to start without give it gas after tapping the pump and checking the fuel line and it start and ran perfectly smooth. Drove it around and bit and everything seems to be running fine...even kind of great.

Observations:
- The fuel pump appears to be pretty new
- I could not locate a fuel filter anywhere between tank - pump - carb (concerning)
-I think there may have been a clog probably freed up by the fuel treatment
-Timing is spot on and dizzy is screwed down tight
- Could be an issue with the carb itself

Does this look like the fuel filter?

I plan to run around tomorrow so we will see what happens. Hoping to go to a drive in movie and hopefully wont get stranded.

Last edited by wgc68nyc; 06-02-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Usually you would see the fuel filter between the pump and the carb.. It sounds like you had a stuck float preventing full flow of fuel into the bowl or maybe something was clogging the needle/seat.. I would definately grab a filter for it, autozone fram see throughthe fuel filter, or one of those cartridge type screen mr gasket ones. $12 max. That will help keep any junk you may have in the tank or lines out of your carb. Do it soon. I wouldnt worry about the carb so much for now. You do need to adjust your floats so the fuel level is just at the bottom of the sight while sitting on level ground.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Im pretty sure that the holley has some screw in screen filters at the inlet of the carb.. check it out to be sure. There may be some junk in there too.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boogerschnot
Usually you would see the fuel filter between the pump and the carb.. It sounds like you had a stuck float preventing full flow of fuel into the bowl or maybe something was clogging the needle/seat.. I would definately grab a filter for it, autozone fram see throughthe fuel filter, or one of those cartridge type screen mr gasket ones. $12 max. That will help keep any junk you may have in the tank or lines out of your carb. Do it soon. I wouldnt worry about the carb so much for now. You do need to adjust your floats so the fuel level is just at the bottom of the sight while sitting on level ground.
I saw those....I am thinking of doing a basic filter from the tank to the pump and then a clear one from the pump to the carb. I probably need to do a carb retune as well as I am only getting about 11-12mpg.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

this if youre referring to the thing down by the exhaust manifold is your oil pressure sender..

definitely put a filter on there before you get the carb gummed up with trash

Quick Reply: Help! Weekend Ruiner...won't run (w/ video)