Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Power brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Jblalock1982

Default Power brake conversion

Hey guys I need some info I just purchased a 1970 Mach 1 351 Windsor motor and it has 4 wheel drum brakes! I'm wanting to put power brakes on it do I'm just looking for any help or advise! This is my 1st classic project I've had a 86 GT and currently have a 95 cobra so my experience with the classic mustangs is very limited! Thanks for any advise and help I'd really appreciate it
Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I think you'll need a different brake pedal, the booster and different MC with pushrod. this site may help explain:
http://www.mustangsteve.com/fyi_brak...akepedals.html

You just want to add the power brake booster to your drum brakes right?
Jon
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jonk67
I think you'll need a different brake pedal, the booster and different MC with pushrod. this site may help explain:

Jon
Correct.

Any booster supplier that says "You don't need to change the pedal" is a Force fit, Will fit if, is a non correct booster--Nothing but trouble.

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
The_Dude
1st Gear Member

Jon
Nice link! I'm getting ready to do this to my '69 convertible. I already have the spindles, rotors and proportioning valve, and soft lines. So I still need a booster, MC, and pedal.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Jblalock1982

Well I'm looking into swapping out the drum brakes to disk brakes as well not sure which option I wanna do yet is there a good site with a complete power brake swap to disk brakes to????
Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jblalock1982
Well I'm looking into swapping out the drum brakes to disk brakes as well not sure which option I wanna do yet is there a good site with a complete power brake swap to disk brakes to????
The pedal and booster are the same with drum or disc, so why don't you do the power conversion first and see how it goes? Very likely you'll decide the disc conversion is not needed.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

If I remember correctly the MC/pushrod is different for PB too disc or drum. You'll be able to reuse pedal and booster as 2+2 said if down the road you switch over to disc also. Switching to disc you'll need disc MC/rod (should come together), disc prop/dist valve (factory or afterrmarket), new lines and hoses.
Jon
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 AM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

If I remember correctly the MC/pushrod is different for PB too disc or drum. You'll be able to reuse pedal and booster as 2+2 said if down the road you switch over to disc also. Switching to disc you'll need disc MC/rod (should come together), disc prop/dist valve (factory or afterrmarket), new lines and hoses.
Jon
If doing a change from Drum to Disc Master cylinders---Using a Factory stock Booster, there will no need to change the push rod in the booster.

No push rod change at all. Simply bolt on the stock Disc Brake master (Such as the MC 36251 Raybestos), cruise.

Again, this is for the stock boosters on the Mustang from 67-73. If a Aftermarket, no pedal change versions--All bets are off, it may take a master from a farm truck???

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Jblalock1982

Ok guys thanks for the help I'm gonna dig into it within a week I'll update how it goes lol I've been busy installing a turbo on my 95 cobra so I haven't touched the Mach 1 yet but I'm gonna get on it this weekend
Old 06-10-2012, 06:38 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

you should know that although the 70 booster is available in a nice repro, the 70-only power pedal is not. You'll either need a used 70 power pedal, or simply use the 67-69 style pedal and booster. Well, I suppose you could use a 67-69 pedal and relocate the pushrod pin. Machine tool and welding skills would be required. I would do it that way, but that's because I can.

BTW, I'm aware that the OEM 67-68-69 pedals were different due to the size of the steering column, but the repro is the 68-69 style, and works perfectly on 67. The 70 pedal had an even larger column to clear, but should also work.

Quick Reply: Power brake conversion