Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

master brake cylinder question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 PM
makaveli200369

Default master brake cylinder question

Hi there,

When I bought my 66 mustang it came with SSBC disc brake kit and a master cylinder. How do you tell the difference if its a power brake or manual brake cylinder? After I put it all together and drove it the pedal requires serious effort to stop the car. But then again I'm not used to old cars and my friends tell me that's how old manual brakes are.

Since I don't know what master cylinder is in there what would happen if I added the power brake booster? Like a 7" or 8" booster. If it was a manual brake cylinder with the booster would it be too much and cause instant lock up?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
wonso79
2nd Gear Member

With manual brakes you do have to apply more force to stop the car then if you had power brakes.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM
65coupei6

Originally Posted by makaveli200369
Hi there,
How do you tell the difference if its a power brake or manual brake cylinder?
If it has a booster behind the master cylinder then it is power. No booster non-power.

You could try bleeding the brakes. Or maybe when the master was put in the push rod was a different length.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 PM
dklistul

All else equal, a manual brake MC will probably have a smaller piston(s) than a power MC. Remember, pressure = pounds per square inch: the pounds come from your foot (plus the booster force for power brakes), while the square inches come from the MC piston area.

(Of course, the other way to make up the difference is with the piston sizes at the wheels.)

The tradeoff is with pedal travel. Manual brakes require more pedal travel because of their smaller MC pistons (or larger wheel cylinders).

You might want to call SSBC and ask them. Maybe they can tell you how to identify it.

Last edited by dklistul; 06-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 AM
makaveli200369

Originally Posted by 65coupei6
If it has a booster behind the master cylinder then it is power. No booster non-power.

You could try bleeding the brakes. Or maybe when the master was put in the push rod was a different length.
I understand that...I am trying to identify the master cylinder because I want to add a brake booster..it doesn't have one right now. When the previous owner bought the kit I am not sure if he purchased a master cylinder made for power booster but just never bought that last piece or was going the manual route. It's going to be tough to identify because there are no markings on the MC.

Well I guess I could always buy the booster and see what happens if the brakes are super touchy and lockup easily it must mean I have the manual MC.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Well you are lucky that on '65/'66 the manual/power pedals are the same, '67> had different pedals. The MC for manual vs. PB should be different as the rods are different and the piston in the MC is different.

With PB the pushrod goes through the booster and is longer if I remember right. I don't know if a manual MC pushrod would reach the pedal and if it did it may pull it against the floorboard. I would go with an 8" booster at least, from what I've read the 7" run out of vacuum quicker being smaller so multiple uses may use up your available vacuum.

Here's some pedal/booster info.
http://www.mustangsteve.com/fyi_brak...akepedals.html

http://www.mpbrakes.com/technical-support/overview.cfm

Jon
Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
65coupei6

All you should have to do is change the push rod to an adjustable one.

Last edited by 65coupei6; 06-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by makaveli200369
I understand that...I am trying to identify the master cylinder because I want to add a brake booster..it doesn't have one right now. When the previous owner bought the kit I am not sure if he purchased a master cylinder made for power booster but just never bought that last piece or was going the manual route. It's going to be tough to identify because there are no markings on the MC.

Well I guess I could always buy the booster and see what happens if the brakes are super touchy and lockup easily it must mean I have the manual MC.
Hi,
It sounds like you need go in another direction. I would suggest you replace, both the Master cylinder and the booster as a unit. be sure to identify to the vendor whether you have discs/drums, drum/drum, or disc/disc.
happy Motoring!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Do you currently have disc brakes now? On my '66 GT (disc/drums) I had put on a '67 power brake disc/drum mc with a 1" bore and it was a bear to stop. It took all the effort to come to a normal stop. I changed over to a '74 Maverick manual disc/drum mc and it has a 15/16" bore. Wow, what a difference. Stops easily with much less effort. The Mustang mc for this year with disc/drum is 15/16" bore size.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gjz30075
Do you currently have disc brakes now? On my '66 GT (disc/drums) I had put on a '67 power brake disc/drum mc with a 1" bore and it was a bear to stop. It took all the effort to come to a normal stop. I changed over to a '74 Maverick manual disc/drum mc and it has a 15/16" bore. Wow, what a difference. Stops easily with much less effort. The Mustang mc for this year with disc/drum is 15/16" bore size.

Hi,
First, not doubting your results but am amazed how "1/16"th can make a dis-earnable difference. Hydraulics can do powerful things. But then, pressure vs. volume are powerful forces!

Quick Reply: master brake cylinder question