Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Borgeson Power Steering Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 PM
synthartist69
2nd Gear Member

Default 65 Borgeson Power Steering Results

Hey guys,

I wanted to post my thoughts after installing the Borgeson Power Steering system on my 65 fastback. It went in fine and barely cleared my Mac headers but did clear. I am using my original power steering pump and it works fine, so good that I will not be upgrading to a Saginaw pump, unless my pump goes out at some point. I had a major roadwalk problem with the old set up. I replaced most of the front end parts trying to solve the problem and was told by a local Ford dealer and classic Mustang guru that my roadwalk was likely the factory power assist. My steering felt like I was driving over a tall bridge with gusty winds. I did not notice any slop in the steering box but I went ahead and tightened it a tad with no improvement. I about pulled my hair out trying to solve the road walk problem. I even replaced the factory power valve, center link, and ps ram. No improvement. I went to two different alignment shops, nobody could tell me anything.

After installing the Borgeson I took the car for a test drive and I can honestly tell you....WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!!! The car steers so much better without any roadwalk...I am very satisfied!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:57 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

So you did the power unit. I have really been leaning in that direction. How much did it cost you? I currently have power assist and its hard to keep it straight in lane on a rough road.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Just curious have you done the shelby drop on your car. I'm thinking of going this route just was not sure if the shelby drop would make a difference onw ay or another.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
synthartist69
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
Just curious have you done the shelby drop on your car. I'm thinking of going this route just was not sure if the shelby drop would make a difference onw ay or another.
Hello. No I didn't do the shelby drop but I wish I would have when the motor was out. Actually, I wish I would have done all of these upgrades while the motor was out but I didn't have the funds to make it happen at that time and really needed to replace the motor and transmission asap. I think the Shelby drop would be a great upgrade for the looks and handling!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
synthartist69
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
So you did the power unit. I have really been leaning in that direction. How much did it cost you? I currently have power assist and its hard to keep it straight in lane on a rough road.
Hello, I bought the borgeson on Ebay for under 700.00 without a pump.