Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suspension Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension Disappointment

What did I do??

After having my '68 coupe on jackstands for over a year while I rebuilt the suspension and did a power disc conversion, it was finally set back on the floor today.......which should have been a BANNER day.......but nooooooo.......I have apparently screwed something up. The stance is WRONG......the rear is sagging WELL below the front. I specifically tried to NOT let this happen when I purchased the parts. I don't have the part numbers in front of me at the moment but I will post them in a bit.

I installed a Grab-Trac-setup......new leaf springs, coil springs, upper and lower control arms, tie-rods and shocks.

Did I go wrong with the leaf springs? Since I bought all this stuff in September of 2010, I have to go dig up my receipt.....and it also means I can't exchange anything. Grrrrrrr......I learn EVERYTHING the hard and expensive way apparently.

Here is a pic taken today.....the stance looks MUCH worse in person.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

In your photo it kinda looks like the rear stance is OK but the front is too high? Is the front adjustable?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Not that I'm aware of. And nothing seems to be binding up front.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Okay........Grab-A-Trak 620lb coil springs up front and Grab-A-Trak 4 1/2 leaf, mid-eye in the back.

Any ideas from the experts? It looks like I lowered the rear and raised the front???
Old 06-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Let the front settle. Drive it around for a couple months and see what happens. I really doubt it will stay that high. Keep in mind, those 4.5 leaf rear springs drop the rear well below stock ride height. Also, the factory stance was slightly raked back, rather than forward, like you would think.

Based on personal experience with that exact spring setup, as well as seeing several other Mustang owners with the same setup, the front will likely settle more than that...but not quite enough to even out the stance. My fastback still sits about an inch too high in the front for my liking (although lower than your car sits right now). One day, when I get the time, I'll be hacking 1/4 coil off each side. This has evened out the stance for several other people with this spring combo.

Last edited by Starfury; 06-30-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

yup, let it settle and it should come down a bit. if you want to drop it more you could always relocate the upper a arms and that will bring it down another inch or so. but depending on what upper a arms you got you may need a wedge kit to prevent the ball joint from binding.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Relocating the UCA's is always a good idea, but it won't drop the ride height much. You may get 1/2" out of the mod. Most of the benefit is in the improved suspension geometry.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:16 PM
RC65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangdemon67
yup, let it settle and it should come down a bit. if you want to drop it more you could always relocate the upper a arms and that will bring it down another inch or so. but depending on what upper a arms you got you may need a wedge kit to prevent the ball joint from binding.
Definitely! I did the drop and 1" lowering GT coils and GT leafs, roll it back and forth and turn the wheel back and forth if you can't get it out to drive. Every time I jack mine up and let it back down it takes some settling to get back to where it was.

Last edited by RC65; 06-30-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Thanks folks! It would have to settle a LOT to get to an even ride height........I'm kicking myself for not doing the Shelby drop while having everything off the car, FOR A YEAR.......DOHHHH..........idiot.

When I sat it down on the floor after all this time and the rear settled so low, I could have cried......broke my heart.....oh well....it's part of it I guess. I'm learnin'!!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

its gonna settle it was amazing how much my 65 settled with the 620s after towing it an hour to my house on a full car trailer...

Quick Reply: Suspension Disappointment