Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My eaton pump problem (64 1/2, coupe)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Howies64and67

Default My eaton pump problem (64 1/2, coupe)

Good morning:
i have a mission, which I don't want to consider it impossible, any help is greatly appreciated (sorry for the wordyness ).

I am the proud owner of a 64 1/2 coupe (w/ generator) and under the hood is a 289, auto, 4bbl, generator baby. Well my 64 1/2 got lonely so i had to get another Mustang for my corral. My coupe was getting lonely and needed some company, its no longer an "only child" since I purchased a convertible.
Now I am the owner of a 67 convertible and my original coupe which has been restored back to its original beautiful look from 64.
It looks just like the same car that I got to see unveiled at the Worlds Fair in my hometown of New York, back in '64.

Well of course there is always one problem child in the family, and thats my '64 1/2 D-code coupe thats also a generator car.

I am on a mission to put air conditioning in the car. I cant seem to find the rear bracket of the Eaton Pump (which turns 30 degrees) which is necessary for me to be able to install the compressor bracket.
Of course I would prefer just the bracket but if someone is selling it as a set. Some people say they found some listings posted on ebay but after checking the listing I find out its close but no cigar.
I have checked ebay more times than I can count, sometimes i get close and find the power steering pump but I end up coming across lots of incomptable brackets.

I know some people may differ on the fact technical name, I am doing my best to describe it as accurately as possible. So if anyone has questions or needs me to clarify the Eaton pump, bracket, etc. thats no problem.

I am attaching a photo of it, hope it works or I can email it to anyone. If anyone wants my contact info please let me know or if anyone has a lead on anyone that would possibly be familiar with this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much for looking at my post, thanks again.

Eaton Pump Picture

Hope that someone can help me complete this mission so that my Coupe will be very "cool". thanks in advance.
-Howie
Old 07-07-2012, 02:57 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

This might not help, but my first thought on seeing the picture is that a metal/machine shop may be able to fabricate a bracket like that for you. Of course the next two things that come to mind are that it will either be 1) costly, or 2) ugly. If they're able to recreate those nice bends it'll probably be pretty costly for a bracket, and if they just go for functionality (cutting the the three arms and main plate out of stock, then welding another piece of stock between them to get the spacing right) it'll be kinda ugly. Of course if you painted it black and it was stuffed in behind your compressor or wherever it might be noticeable at all. Just depends on your preference I suppose.

And of course, this may not even be a viable option. You'll have to get one of the more knowledgeable guys on the sites opinion first, I just figured id throw this idea out there.

edit: And of course for this to work, you'd need the specs of the original bracket, which may or may not be found on the site already.

Last edited by rusty65; 07-07-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Hi,
Don't you need a remote reservoir for the PS fluid?
For that bracket check with these guys: http://home.rica.net/brcm/brcm.htm
Good luck!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Howies64and67

I am hoping to avoid the machine shop route if possible as I am trying to keep it as authentic as I can.
Thanks a lot, I'm gonna give them a call Monday.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Howies64and67

Spoke to them and they didn't have any but actually suggested to visit the forum lol.
Thanks for trying.
I currently have a remote P/S reservoir picked ot up in Carlisle a few yrs back.
I am determined to find the mustangs needle in the haystack
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Howies64and67

I know that this can be done with a machine shop but I am trying to stay as true as possible. Did some of you other D-code owners go this route ?