Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

mechanical lifters with High output 289 cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
mpissaquah

Default mechanical lifters with High output 289 cam

So... here is what I think I've got. I jsut purchased a 1967 Mustang. (probably not the smartest thing buying the car without more detailed understanding of the engine) The engine was claimed to be rebuilt, but I'm not sure was done so correctly. It was stated to be a High Output 302. It idles rough and backfires thrugh the carb under load and at times at idle. I've check the typical timming, new carb, coil & distributor etc.. and had a former Ford Mechanic take a quick look at it and the problems appear to be mechanical.

The car does have a HO cam (351 firing order) the Heads however are 289 heads that are adjustable (made for mechanical lifters) no stop etc.. However it is suspected thaty it may have hydraulic lifters. Further evidence of a 289 are that the edabrok intake is a 289 performance intake

The question is what is the least expensive / intrusive resolution. Are there mechanical liftes that I can install and keep the current cam and heads?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

It would be important to know what specific cam you have. You cannot use "solid" lifters on a hydraulic cam, nor can you use hydraulics on a mechanical cam.

All Ford 302 engines had hydraulic lifters (except for the BOSS, which you don't have).

The Edelbrock 289 intake fits the 302 perfectly- the difference between the 289 and 302 was internal and very slight.

All 64-68 289 heads were the adjustable type.

There was no "302 HO" engine. Well, unless your engine was pulled out of a 1980-something Mustang.

Stock 289 heads can be very strong performers with a simple exhaust port-matching job. This can be done in a few hours at home, if you have the heads off.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 AM
Butchjma

Just a quick note. The Hi-Po 289 used mechanical lifters
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mpissaquah
So... here is what I think I've got. I jsut purchased a 1967 Mustang. (probably not the smartest thing buying the car without more detailed understanding of the engine) The engine was claimed to be rebuilt, but I'm not sure was done so correctly. It was stated to be a High Output 302. It idles rough and backfires thrugh the carb under load and at times at idle. I've check the typical timming, new carb, coil & distributor etc.. and had a former Ford Mechanic take a quick look at it and the problems appear to be mechanical.

The car does have a HO cam (351 firing order) the Heads however are 289 heads that are adjustable (made for mechanical lifters) no stop etc.. However it is suspected thaty it may have hydraulic lifters. Further evidence of a 289 are that the edabrok intake is a 289 performance intake

The question is what is the least expensive / intrusive resolution. Are there mechanical liftes that I can install and keep the current cam and heads?
Hi,
As mentioned you can't or shouldn't, without numerous issues, mix cams and lifters outside of their families. Have you not contacted the PO for history? To get a definitive answer, I would pull the intake.
Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
mpissaquah

Thanks for the input. This has gotten beyond my limited experience and time, so I haved it in a shop to get sorted out. Thanks again for the insights. It is enlightening as both how relativly simple these cars are and how many things can cause similar symptoms.