Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New to Forums Old to mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 PM
mkosull

Default New to Forums Old to mustangs

I just bought a 1966 mustang in the process of being converted from a 6 cyl to a 289. Currently I have a problem with the vacuum hose. The hose coming from the back of carb is not on the car. It is approx a 1/2 inch diameter vacuum hose and I have no idea where it goes. The breather is not original and the carb is 1 2100 2 barrel. I just want to get the car running and decide how I want to convert. Any ideas where the line goes. Should I just plug it and let it go??
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Does the distributor have a vacuum line to it ?If it not that i would just plug it and see how it runs with it plugged if it runs funny then you need it somewhere.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mkosull
I just bought a 1966 mustang in the process of being converted from a 6 cyl to a 289. Currently I have a problem with the vacuum hose. The hose coming from the back of carb is not on the car. It is approx a 1/2 inch diameter vacuum hose and I have no idea where it goes. The breather is not original and the carb is 1 2100 2 barrel. I just want to get the car running and decide how I want to convert. Any ideas where the line goes. Should I just plug it and let it go??
Hi,
Your description sounds like it may have been for the PCV valve. How far are you into the
project?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:53 PM
mkosull

You may be right. The previous owner changed the valve covers to Chrome covers. They have an oil filler cap on each valve cover and there is no PVC valve. Should I install a PVC valve and remove the 2nd oil filler cap?

Thanks for the reply. I had several Mustangs many yearsago and forgot about the PVC valve!!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 PM
mkosull

I bought the car about two weeks ago. I am currently going through the brakes. The emergency brake cbles were cut when they installed the 5 lug rear which is a 2.80 rear. That needs to go as well. Looking for a 3.5 or a 3.7 rear. The brakes were butchered. The rest of the car exterior is very nice. It has new floor pans and the body is extra fine. They just got tired of working on it. So now I have it to finish and I can't wait to get it on the road. I have to change the front spindles to 5 lug to move on.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM
mkosull

The distributor does have a vacuum line. As seen later in this thread. It does not have a PVC valve. Should I install a PVC valve. As mentioned below, each valve cover has an oil filler cap and no PCV valve. How do I get around this??
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mkosull
You may be right. The previous owner changed the valve covers to Chrome covers. They have an oil filler cap on each valve cover and there is no PVC valve. Should I install a PVC valve and remove the 2nd oil filler cap?

Thanks for the reply. I had several Mustangs many yearsago and forgot about the PVC valve!!
Hi,
Yes, replace one of those caps with a grommet and PCV valve. Connect the valve to the rear port on the carb plate.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:33 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Its up to you if you want a pcv or not as long as it has a valve cover breather it will be fine.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:56 AM
mkosull

Thanks for the reply. I don't what I'd do without all of your help and knowledge. It's been so long > 35 years since I had a mustang, so all of your help is appreciated. I'm sure you'll hear more from me later. Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

With old cars every system is simple it works or don't.Somethings like rebuilding a carb is a pain but most of the car is real easy to work on.

Quick Reply: New to Forums Old to mustangs