Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

thinking about aluminum heads...need some input

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:55 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam

Any idea what 170cc runner will do to the compression and what size were the stock heads?

Thanks again.

-Gun
Nothing, it's the compression chamber that matters (61cc). Too big an intake runner and it will be a dog at low rpm, too small and it won't flow at high rpm. 170 is perfect intake runner.

For the combustion chamber, the experts please correct me, I believe were in the 54cc range so you will see a small drop in compression. Depending on the heads you pick you might have to change the pistons anyway. Not sure if the TFS head will clear with your stock pistons.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Gun Jam

the TFS will clear as long as I keep my cam below 0.550 lift....well thats the rumor

Thanks for clearing that up...makes sense the intake runner is only open to the combustion chamber during intake not compression so it should have zero affect on compression as the valve is closed.

-Gun
Old 08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The Trick Flow heads will easily clear flat-top pistons. That's one of the benefits of the twisted wedge design.

These heads are what I'd recommend from Trick Flow, however. They have the smaller 58cc combustion chambers, which will keep your compression ratio up. The single valve springs will probably work fine for most small flat-tappet cams. There's another version with dual valve springs designed for high lift and roller cams.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

THose are the heads that i am running. i love them. big big difference
Old 08-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Gun Jam

Thanks guys.

Starfury I really do want to run the roller cam. Do you think the roller cam I initially stated http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51403001/ Would still be a good match for the head you listed (but with the dual springs for roller setup)??

Thanks again

-Gun
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yes. It's a very popular upgrade for 5.0's because of the added valve clearance. Unlike most other heads that focus on peak flow numbers, the twisted wedge heads flow better under .500" lift than most other heads, which is where the valves spend most of their time. I'm also happy with their build quality. They use good aluminum castings, good hardware (ARP rocker studs), and helicoil threads for strength.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I just listed a set of aluminum Edelbrock E street heads for sale if you are interested. They have about 20 minutes of run time on them. I ended up buying a built shortblock and had to upgrade to the Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Gun Jam

Originally Posted by Starfury
The Trick Flow heads will easily clear flat-top pistons. That's one of the benefits of the twisted wedge design.

These heads are what I'd recommend from Trick Flow, however. They have the smaller 58cc combustion chambers, which will keep your compression ratio up. The single valve springs will probably work fine for most small flat-tappet cams. There's another version with dual valve springs designed for high lift and roller cams.
Thanks for the recommendation unfortunately those heads wont work with the hydraulic roller cam unless I get special pistons to allow for valve clearance OR use a non roller cam. It looks like I have to use 61cc heads if I want to use a roller cam.

Thanks

-Gun
Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Gun Jam

okay so after looking at everything and talking to trick flow techs I think the recommendations from summit tech were good.

Trickflow techs said based on my car setup I would do well with

this cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51403001/

and this head http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51410004-M61/

He said I would pick up about 50 to 70 hp and fuel mileage would stay the same or improve slightly if I drove it the same as I do now. This looks pretty solid and aligned with what im trying to accomplish....no its not the cheapest route but I do think its probably the best way to meet my goal (improve HP and not hurt fuel mileage).

He said the 58cc combustion chamber heads would indeed have clearance issues and not be worth the extra cost for matching pistons.

If I did change pistons that would cost about 64 bucks per piston but it would also require boring of the block right..you can't run new pistons on a motor with 75k on it correct? What does boring typically cost?

thanks

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 08-20-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
okay so after looking at everything and talking to trick flow techs I think the recommendations from summit tech were good.

Trickflow techs said based on my car setup I would do well with

this cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51403001/

and this head http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51410004-M61/

He said I would pick up about 50 to 70 hp and fuel mileage would stay the same or improve slightly if I drove it the same as I do now. This looks pretty solid and aligned with what im trying to accomplish....no its not the cheapest route but I do think its probably the best way to meet my goal (improve HP and not hurt fuel mileage).

He said the 58cc combustion chamber heads would indeed have clearance issues and not be worth the extra cost for matching pistons.

If I did change pistons that would cost about 64 bucks per piston but it would also require boring of the block right..you can't run new pistons on a motor with 75k on it correct? What does boring typically cost?

thanks

-Gun
May not need to bore but a fresh hone would be good.
Also check ed curtis for a cam, I know a lot of fox body guys have had good luck with him. I used him but haven't started the motor yet so I can't tell you from personal experience.
Don't forget to factor in lifters, pushrods and rockers into your overall plan. Double check pricing with Ed, you might be surprised.

Quick Reply: thinking about aluminum heads...need some input