Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

thinking about aluminum heads...need some input

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You can't pick a cam based on how you want it to sound. That's counter-productive, especially in your case. You've been asking from the get-go for a package that gets you good fuel efficiency, which means good low-end torque and throttle response. A cam that lopes does so because of valve overlap, which is a byproduct of a cam that makes power at high rpm's, which is exactly the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

If you wanted a package that would be an awesome street driver with good mid-range torque and a lot of top-end power, I would've started with the TFS heads and a much more aggressive cam in the first place.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Gun Jam

This is the cam that lunati recommended

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1669

Mr. Velocity

what cam are those specs for?

thanks again guys

-Gun
Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Gun Jam

Originally Posted by Starfury
You can't pick a cam based on how you want it to sound. That's counter-productive, especially in your case. You've been asking from the get-go for a package that gets you good fuel efficiency, which means good low-end torque and throttle response. A cam that lopes does so because of valve overlap, which is a byproduct of a cam that makes power at high rpm's, which is exactly the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

If you wanted a package that would be an awesome street driver with good mid-range torque and a lot of top-end power, I would've started with the TFS heads and a much more aggressive cam in the first place.
Right now the engine has a slight lope to it. Its not extreme but at idle you can feel it in the seat and watch the hood and fenders shake a bit. I've had this car for 11 years and I know i would really miss that sound and feel....
Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Right now the engine has a slight lope to it. Its not extreme but at idle you can feel it in the seat and watch the hood and fenders shake a bit. I've had this car for 11 years and I know i would really miss that sound and feel....
I agree...although you may have power goals I think the sound and feel is more important unless you are racing. I changed my carb and mufflers recently and now I miss my old sound even though the car runs better and gets 3-4mpg more. I am sure you will love your new power gains regardless of what the exact numbers on a dyno turn out to be.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That Voodoo cam is pretty mean. Are you sure your bottom end will spin up that far?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Gun Jam

Starfury

agreed the rpm range seems too high. I think I would be better suited with the trickflow cam vs that particular voodoo cam.

the advertised lift seemed a bit on the high side as well
Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
This is the cam that lunati recommended

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1669

Mr. Velocity

what cam are those specs for?

thanks again guys

-Gun
Those are from Ed Curtis for a cam based on the heads, intake, carb, compression ratio, pistons, headers, trans, rear end and the performance I want from the car.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Gun Jam

think I would be better off by switching plans? What if rather than trying to find a roller cam to fit the trick flow 61 cc heads I went with the 58cc heads that starfury recommended http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....8&autoview=sku

but had comp custom grind me a roller cam that would work with stock pistons? Im not sure if that would work because of the limited available valve lift. I also dont know what the maximum lift is that one could use with stock pistons and those heads.

any ideas about that? or should I just have comp custom grind me a roller cam for the 61 cc heads like I have been considering...either way a custom ground cam sounds cool...

-Gun
Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Gun Jam

okay so after looking all this over and talking again with a comp tech....

right now I want to run the xtreme energy xr270rf-hr (PN: 35-421-8) cam and the trick flow heads with 61cc combustion chambers (as listed before)

I think this is a pretty dang close match to what I'm looking for

compared to the trick flow cam I think this maybe more aligned with my goals for adding HP but not hurting fuel mileage and still sounding like it has a cam in it...

I also plan to run the comp link bar lifters.

Any other suggestions?

-Gun