Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help me, Help you.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 PM
lastbutnotleast

Default Help me, Help you.

1965 RESTORED c CODE 289 V8 auto trans.

holley 600 4bbl w/ electric choke on a Weiand aluminum intake, aluminum 4 core radiator. Pertronics ignitor ignition, hearders.

Ok - thats the ride i bought in turn key condition. it was finely tuned and not a drip under. was, finely tuned and didnt drip, until i took it out for a ride.

it seems now i have a transmission fluid leak from the front and rear main seals. and at certain speeds the engine runs rough and i feel what i believe to be a misfire.

is this caused by my driving style? i took the vehicle out for about 20 mins on backroads and then onto the highway where i pushed pass 80mph.

for what i have under the hood should i not be driving at these speeds??

and what steps do i take now to get the vehicle back to the way i bought it- no drips and finely tuned engine. haha.

i found a few opinions - 2 different mechanics said to replace the 2 seals that i should prepare to replace all seals and rebuild transmission.

as far as the misfires - i'd like to inspect the issue myself. what tools do i need for a tuneup.

thanks,
-grounded.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/imag..._couchhide.gif
Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 PM
lastbutnotleast

i forgot to mention it was a hot day when i first took it for a ride. maybe 85 degrees and humid. i wasnt thinking about the heat - i mean it was the first chance i had to take a test drive.

i was doing research and found perhaps the heat can affect the pertronic ignitors - is that something anyone has heard of happening.

i guess the first place to look is the ignitor or distributor, yes ?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lastbutnotleast
it was finely tuned and not a drip under. was, finely tuned and didnt drip, until i took it out for a ride.
So what did you do to it!? haha...

Murphy's law!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:23 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

If the car say for a while and it didnt leak, you might have just broken the seal of a dried out, um, seal. I would just replace the seals in question and see what that does. If the tranny shifts good then leave it alone, no need for a rebuild just cause it leaks.

Your driving did not cause the issues.

As for the possible miss. check your plug wires first, they can get dry and crack causing it to ground our therein causing a missfire. If wires are good then look at the plugs for a burnt tip or something.

Thats all I can think of right now. Im sure others will chime in with better advice!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

If you have the tolls just drop the trans and replace the front and rear seals or take it to a trans shop and have them do it. There is no reason to believe the rest of the trans is going to break0 especially if it shifts good. It takes all of 10 minutes to replace these seals once the trans is on the workbench/ground.

Regarding apparent miss- the Yes heat can cause problems but it usually results in a no run condition with electronic ign's. So you will need a 3/8 ratchet, spark plug socket - 13/16 , maybe a swivel headed plug socket and maybe a extension. you may want to change the dist cap and wires and will need a medium sized slot screw driver for that. I also suggest you change the fuel filter and air filter and run some carb cleaner thru the PCV valve. A good tune up also inspects and cleans the battery posts for corrosion.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Seems to me this is just typical maintanance on a very old car. Im not even as old as your car and I am leaking and I have a few things missing too.
its just kinda normal with these babys
Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lastbutnotleast
1965 RESTORED c CODE 289 V8 auto trans.

holley 600 4bbl w/ electric choke on a Weiand aluminum intake, aluminum 4 core radiator. Pertronics ignitor ignition, hearders.

Ok - thats the ride i bought in turn key condition. it was finely tuned and not a drip under. was, finely tuned and didnt drip, until i took it out for a ride.

it seems now i have a transmission fluid leak from the front and rear main seals. and at certain speeds the engine runs rough and i feel what i believe to be a misfire.

is this caused by my driving style? i took the vehicle out for about 20 mins on backroads and then onto the highway where i pushed pass 80mph.

for what i have under the hood should i not be driving at these speeds??

and what steps do i take now to get the vehicle back to the way i bought it- no drips and finely tuned engine. haha.

i found a few opinions - 2 different mechanics said to replace the 2 seals that i should prepare to replace all seals and rebuild transmission.

as far as the misfires - i'd like to inspect the issue myself. what tools do i need for a tuneup.

thanks,
-grounded.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/imag..._couchhide.gif

How can you tell if it was finely tuned and had no leaks if you didn't take it out first? I am guessing it idles just fine right? That level of heat should be fine as long as your cooling system is working properly. Sounds like you have some bad seals and a tune up and carb/timing adjustments in your future. Hopefully no vacuum leaks.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:18 PM
lastbutnotleast

well the PO was talking to me about the car - days after i already paid him. since he already sold the car i didnt think he had any reason to lie. he said he had tuned it up himself and that this was one of the first mustangs he has seen in a while with not a single leak.

and the car was drove probably 100 miles from his house to mine - and sat in my garage for a week before i got to register the plates. but i did take it out around the block that week.

so i figured if it were to leak it would have. maybe i just popped its cherry! yeeeehaaaw

anyways thanks for all the info.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
lastbutnotleast

so i just checked the hose that runs from carburator to the valve cover and that seal on the valve cover has a crack in it. if you push down on the hose a little oil seeps up. is this a possible location of a vaccum leak?