Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Mustang Convertible
Question Quick welding question on my mustang

Hi everyone,

I plan to purchase a Mig with shielding gas welder this weekend hopefully. I want to weld sheet metal by spot welding but I also need to weld support brackets. I looked on HopeDepot.com at the welders they have and there is a Lincoln Weld Pak 125 HD wire-feed for $419. It says it is 30-125 amps for welding and is 110ac. Will this be strong enough for some things more than basic sheet metal? Like if I need to weld the pillars up front, will this work?

Thanks for your help!!

Warren
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
WarrenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Fastback

I built my car with a Millermatic 135, its a 110 unit and it works fine for sheet stock (and lets face it thats what these cars are) but to be honest I wish it had a bit more grunt.

I would try to get just a bit bigger if I were you, im sure that one would work but what about the next project? Building trailers or making a bumper for a 4x4 project ten years from now it will make all the difference.
Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
groho
4th Gear Member

This is gonna get expensive so be patient. Buy a 140 rather than the 125. It's the limit for a 110V welder, anything beyond that is 220v and its only a few dollars more. Stick with a brand name, Lincoln or Miller. A bottle of 25/75 argon mix is roughly $100 to $150 in initial cost, but $25-35 to refill. Don't forget the regulator. Spend $60 on a 25 foot 10 ga extension cord. To maximize performance its best to use a dedicated 20amp receptacle. Remember, when welding galvanized metal, grind the coating off both sides before welding (PITA). Always have a good ground. Have fun. My 135 Miller has handled anything I've thrown at it, including 3/16 plate with a single pass. Prep is 90%, welding is 10% of the work.
groho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
groho
4th Gear Member

I actually like the 110V over the 220V because you can weld very delicate work. 220 is great if you do allot of 1/8" and 1/4" stock (.120, .188, or .250 thick). Rarely are you going to see metal beyond 3/16" thick on a car unless you're doing older frame work or chassis and roll cage stuff.
groho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Fastback

I would also add that you can use CO2 as a gas, it's cheap and actually allows for a hotter weld. I worked in a fab shop that used it with a flux wire for maximum resistance to contamination and the high heat.

I used it myself because we had a bar when I was younger and we always had a spare CO2 tank.
Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1999 GT, 1965 coupe

I would go with a Hobart 140 mig handler welder, It will be more then enough that your Mustang will ever need. You can get them for around $500 at Tractor supply or places on line.
Lynn

'99 GT automatic
CDC Shaker scoop, K&N Filter
MAC cat back
Max Speed 1 ˝” Lowering springs
KYB GR2 shocks and struts
Cobra front brakes

'65 Mustang coupe in progress
http://mustangforums.com/forum/class...s-of-pics.html

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 08-23-2012 at 08:25 PM.
LynnBob Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Shrinkdude
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Mustang coupe

Been looking at the Eastwood welders and seem to have good reviews.
http://www.eastwood.com/metal-fabrication/welding.html
Once my old Century welder craps out I'll probably get one of these.
Shrinkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
srekab

Vehicle: 2005 GT Vert

I use a Hobart 140 and have welded up to 3/8 metal. The duty cycle is low for that heavy of a metal but for "small" 3/8 jobs it does great. Key is that all metal is perfectly clean.
srekab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Mustang Convertible

Thanks for all of the feedback. I looked at the Lincoln 140 and it seems the way to go! Its about $120 more than the 125 model but sounds like the difference is worth it.
WarrenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005

I was in your shoes a few years ago and i bought a 110 welder it was ok for body panels etc but soon realised it was not a very versatile machine so i sold it and bought my miller 180 it can go as low as 30 amp and high as 180 amps

I absolutely love this machine and the auto set is a nice feature ... ya its more $$ but when i take into consideration the cost of the 110 unit i bought and sold for a pretty heavy loss this machine is not that much more

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement