Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tach no worky

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:09 AM
imnezrider

Default Tach no worky

My '66 tach doesn't work...anyone have a suggestion about where to start??

TIA
Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Really.... Where to start...... please provide some more information if you want people to respond. Is it a rally pac, Auto meter etc? Did you check the ground wire or the wire that connects the tach to the coil?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM
imnezrider

Oh sure, you need details...Ok if you don't have a crystal ball, it's has a Rally Pac with an MSD ignition system. Thanks for your response and booting me in the butt.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

you need an msd tach adapter! to make it work properly
Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM
imnezrider

You're right, of course. I suppose that this would be the ticket, (http://www.ehow.com/how_5129867_inst...-ignition.html). I'm concerned about a bad tach also. Generally, a company won't take back anything electrical and this is a bit pricey...all that my wife and I do is take to car shows and I "exercise" it once a week." thanks again. I'll mull it over.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by imnezrider
You're right, of course. I suppose that this would be the ticket, (http://www.ehow.com/how_5129867_inst...-ignition.html). I'm concerned about a bad tach also. Generally, a company won't take back anything electrical and this is a bit pricey...all that my wife and I do is take to car shows and I "exercise" it once a week." thanks again. I'll mull it over.
Hi,
I'll go "out on a limb" and assume you think the Tach is bad because it didn't work after you installed the MSD? Did it work before? Yes, a little history helps even when using our crystal ball.
FYI,....
It has been well documented MSD, Mallory etc. CD multi-strike boxes confuse the early current sensing tachs with the multi-strike system. That is, those factory tachs installed up until the early 70s. This being stated, I had my Rally-PAC checked out and refurbished by Glazier-Nolan located in Souderton, PA. I have experienced all that I have mentioned above. If you want to keep that Rally-PAC, you'll need an adapter. There are two, but, I think you'll need the MSD# 8920 unit.
Happy Motoring....
Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 AM
imnezrider

Originally Posted by kenash
Hi,
I'll go "out on a limb" and assume you think the Tach is bad because it didn't work after you installed the MSD? Did it work before? Yes, a little history helps even when using our crystal ball.
FYI,....
It has been well documented MSD, Mallory etc. CD multi-strike boxes confuse the early current sensing tachs with the multi-strike system. That is, those factory tachs installed up until the early 70s. This being stated, I had my Rally-PAC checked out and refurbished by Glazier-Nolan located in Souderton, PA. I have experienced all that I have mentioned above. If you want to keep that Rally-PAC, you'll need an adapter. There are two, but, I think you'll need the MSD# 8920 unit.
Happy Motoring....
Thanks for the added info. Maybe this will help. I bought it fully restored and I assume that the rally pac is aftermarket, but I don't know how to determine that for a fact??
Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the added info. Maybe this will help. I bought it fully restored and I assume that the rally pac is aftermarket, but I don't know how to determine that for a fact??
Hi,
I can understand you do not want to pay the $60 for tach adapter, only to learn it does fix the problem, especially, when you learn the "problem" is a dead tach and you can't return an electrical component.

Therefore, the way I see it, you have two choices....
1. Disconnect/bypass the MSD with the Rally-PAC in place...Retry....or
2. Send the tach off to a vendor for testing.

If the tach works, provided it is correctly connected, with the MSD bypassed,then, you have your answer. If that tach worked before, I can just about guarantee the MSD is causing the problem for all of the reasons I and many others have mentioned.

Now this being stated, I have heard, the after market Rally-PAC's tach was changed to the voltage sensing system and will work with the multi-strike units. Any history on the origin of your Raly-PAC? I only have OEMs so I haven't seen the newer look-a-likes. Perhaps, one of those owners will chime in. Or you can call on of the vendors.
Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 AM
imnezrider

Originally Posted by kenash
Hi,
I can understand you do not want to pay the $60 for tach adapter, only to learn it does fix the problem, especially, when you learn the "problem" is a dead tach and you can't return an electrical component.

Therefore, the way I see it, you have two choices....
1. Disconnect/bypass the MSD with the Rally-PAC in place...Retry....or
2. Send the tach off to a vendor for testing.

If the tach works, provided it is correctly connected, with the MSD bypassed,then, you have your answer. If that tach worked before, I can just about guarantee the MSD is causing the problem for all of the reasons I and many others have mentioned.

Now this being stated, I have heard, the after market Rally-PAC's tach was changed to the voltage sensing system and will work with the multi-strike units. Any history on the origin of your Raly-PAC? I only have OEMs so I haven't seen the newer look-a-likes. Perhaps, one of those owners will chime in. Or you can call on of the vendors.
Good Luck!
Thanks...I'll think it over. It's not like it serves me a purpose, anyhow. Clock dosn't keep time either. I "might" look around for a used one???
Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Thanks...I'll think it over. It's not like it serves me a purpose, anyhow. Clock dosn't keep time either. I "might" look around for a used one???

OK. As for the clock, there are DIY quartz kits for these. I had one in mine when I had my "PAC" installed. The Rally-PACs are a cool recognizable part of the mustang heritage. In my mind it's worth the effort, time, and money to have it in-place. The only reason, I'm no longer running mine is it does not fit the adjustable steering column I installed and I was horrified when I learned this. The pic is how I addressed it...I call it my "Rally-PAC" look!
Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails Tach no worky-img_1405.jpg