Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Shelby Drop PITA

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Shelby Drop PITA

Did the drop on the '68 today......wow.....I did not anticipate what a PITA drilling those holes would be!!! Broke several drill bits and THEN ended up buying a new and bigger drill!!!!

Hey........but I DID get a new power tool out of it, right? LOL!!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, it is a bit of a bear. I used a lot of lube and stepped through maybe 4 sizes on the way to the final bit. A stepped bit might have been easier...
Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I actually broke a stepped bit when doing the drop on my friends 68. Then we broke 2 more bits. Was funny because I had done mine a couple weeks before and didn't break any.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I purchased a new bit and pattern from a vendor on this sight. I have used the same bit for several cars and it has been flawless.
Did you start with a smaller bit and work your way up, or just go for it?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I purchased a new bit and pattern from a vendor on this sight. I have used the same bit for several cars and it has been flawless.
Did you start with a smaller bit and work your way up, or just go for it?
Yes I did........brand new titanium Dewalt bits......stepped up at every stage........broke four I think.....took all dang day......

Several times, as I went through the larger bits, the bit would bite hard into the steel and snapped the drill out of my hands!!! Wrenched my shoulder rather severely during one episode.......

What is this THREE layers of steel we're drilling through doing this mod?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 AM
RC65
1st Gear Member

Wow!, I just did 1/8" pilot holes through the template and then directly to a 1/2" bit, no issues what so ever. UCA bolts fit great with no reaming of the 1/2" holes.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:26 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Titanium coating doesn't help much. It has to do with the hardness of the metal versus the hardness of the drill bit. Most drill bits have a rockwell hardness around 65-70 and if the metal you're drilling through heat cycles a few times as you're drilling (Cools when you rest) then it gets harder as you go. Titanium coating wears off and leaves you drilling into metal with about the same hardness as the bit. This causes the drill bit to wear instead of drilling through the metal.

So when buying drill bits find out the hardness of the bit, not whether or not its titanium coated. Good hardened drill bits will last longer even if they aren't coated. You can get good drill bits at an industrial supplier like McMaster or WWGrainger(They also have cheap ones). This normally doesn't include anything at Home Depot, Lowes etc... One trick is to repoint a concrete bit becasue they have a hardness in the range of 120-140. I've done this to drill out axle flanges that have a hardness of about 95.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by racer_dave
Titanium coating doesn't help much. It has to do with the hardness of the metal versus the hardness of the drill bit. Most drill bits have a rockwell hardness around 65-70 and if the metal you're drilling through heat cycles a few times as you're drilling (Cools when you rest) then it gets harder as you go. Titanium coating wears off and leaves you drilling into metal with about the same hardness as the bit. This causes the drill bit to wear instead of drilling through the metal.

So when buying drill bits find out the hardness of the bit, not whether or not its titanium coated. Good hardened drill bits will last longer even if they aren't coated. You can get good drill bits at an industrial supplier like McMaster or WWGrainger(They also have cheap ones). This normally doesn't include anything at Home Depot, Lowes etc... One trick is to repoint a concrete bit becasue they have a hardness in the range of 120-140. I've done this to drill out axle flanges that have a hardness of about 95.
Cool!!! Thanks for the info Dave.........I keep learning and learning.....(and STILL havin fun!!)
Old 08-29-2012, 05:52 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcopilot
What is this THREE layers of steel we're drilling through doing this mod?
Those four bolts take the brunt of the impact when you slam over a railroad crossing. You really don't want less metal there.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Those four bolts take the brunt of the impact when you slam over a railroad crossing. You really don't want less metal there.
Good point.

I've never owned or used a "step bit".....not sure what it is.....but if I have to drill anymore holes in a shock tower, I'm getting one!!!

Quick Reply: Shelby Drop PITA