Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

If it sounds too good to be true.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Rosebud

Default If it sounds too good to be true.....

Got my first look at the 66 coup today.

Brick red, hides the rust.

The guy who I have lined up to do the body work says he is not concerned about the saucer sized holes in on the quarter panels in front of the doors, or the rust at the bottom of the doors. But he is concerned about the cancer bubbling up around the window frames.

The I6 turns by hand, but I have had one person tell me it should fire right up and another not necessarily so. The only air cleaner is the rag stuffed down the carb. And did I tell you about the rust???

The front buckets are toast, and the back bench seems ok but they all smell moldy. The plastic on the steering wheel is flaking off in big chips and I can’t even read the gauge on the far left on the instrument panel. I didn’t bother looking at the head liner. The glass has a nice translucent quality to them due to all the algae and mildew. Of most concern is the dinner plate sized hole in the floor in front of the passenger bucket. It gives an Interesting view of the leaf litter on the ground under the car but seriously calls into question the structural integrity of the pan.

I asked the owner if I could rip up the moldy carpet on the drivers side to see what the pan looked like there. You know, the first stuff the next owner is going to tear out as soon as they get it home, but he said not to make too much of a mess of it. He said if I was asking if there was rust under there, he said yes there was.

On the plus side, it appears to have all the chrome, It looks like the hood is in the best shape of any part on the car and it has some really peachy mags.

Oh yes, the left rear wheel doesn’t turn, the owner isn’t sure if it is a brake or a bearing
Did I say anything about the rust??

Was thinking of offering $500.00

What say y'all???
Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Rosebud

Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM
JamesW

Keep your money
Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

that thing is too far gone. even if its free your getting ripped off. Its scrap.... if it was only the the first few things you mentioned it may be worth it, however the rust up top sends it over the edge. Plus it is a 6 banger.....
Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Run away NOW!!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 PM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

give him 300-400 take all the good parts off it and find a solid car that needs the trim off the parts car you will be buying etc ...

if the car has that much rot i can just imagine the frame rails, wiper cowl and torque boxes lol
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

I wouldnt pay 500$ for it...probably doesnt even way enough to bring 500 in scrap.... personally id offer 250 at the most and use it for parts and sell off parts etc
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rosebud

The rust in those two pics kills this car; as said before RUN AWAY!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

For a straight 6....... not worth it. I hope the guy is asking under $1,000...... Keep looking, there are plenty of deals out there to be had. I picked up two 67s (coupe and convertible both v8 and both with high options (AC/disc brakes etc)) with 3 engines and a whole crap load of parts for under $3,000.

If you really want to rebuild a mustang, look for a V8. They hold their value better. What you would have put into that I6 you probably wouldn't be able to recoup the cost.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 AM
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

only good for parts.. way too much work and $ needs to be put into it..

Quick Reply: If it sounds too good to be true.....