Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 PM
TexasDan

Default brake problems

I have a 67 GTA, 289, with AOD trans. It came from factory with front disc. I replaced the rear drums with 12.5" Cobra disc and calipers, no problems, months later the brakes started holding when you pressed them but would release in 3 -4 seconds, then I replaced the front with 13" Cobra and wilwood calipers, When I went to bleed the brakes it bleeds fine. When you drive the car the brakes stick for a bit then release, sometimes it even holds and you have to hit the brakes and it releases then. When driving you can hit the brakes and let off and it will continue to brake, sometimes to a stop. I changed the master cylinder, the brake booster (twice), I've changed all lines, and I have stainless steel braded lines for the calipers.

The master cylinder is the stock disc/drum. I've removed the spring and valve from the rear side.

I can't for the life of me figure out what it is doing.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Factory Front Disc Brakes, Means a Midland Booster.

You then added all the non stock brake components. Did you change the booster? To What? Which Master? Did they, the Suppliers of the Non Stock Brakes assist?

If so, what spacing have you allowed for the booster to master push rod??

Did you replace the rubber brake hoses??

Did you set the rear E Brake Cable?

DID YOU TAKE THIS TO A Old School Mustang Guy for help??? Or You thought you "Can Do This" because it is a "Easy" Transistion?

Nothing but food for thought in the exchange here.

Dan @ Chockostang