Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help with high compression motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Default Help with high compression motor

330 ci stroker 11.7-1 compression

when i first started it i only ran pump gas to get it going. i ran it like that for maybe 20 min. sounded great. after a quick ride around the block i started to hear pinging. checked the exauhst and found a bolt lose on the connector. after tightening that i still head what sounded like valve clacking. I took off the valve cover on the passenger side that was noisy and just felt the rocker arms and all felt good. I have about 70-75 psi oil pressure. Yes i primed before starting first time.
Since I have added 110 octane race fuel and now there is another noise of detonation. how can i mitigate these issues by saturday!?
I have two videos i will post shortly.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Excuse the smoke. Its just oil on the headers.

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_2841.mp4

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_2840.mp4

Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Is it pinging at idle or under throttle? At idle, retard the timing. Under throttle check that you have the right springs for your timing advance if you're still on a non electronic distributor. Also may want to go a cooler heat range on your spark plugs.

If that still doesn't fix it you may want to double check the alignment of your cam gear.

After listening to your vid it sounds like an exhaust leak off the header or header to exhaust pipe.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Is it pinging at idle or under throttle? At idle, retard the timing. Under throttle check that you have the right springs for your timing advance if you're still on a non electronic distributor. Also may want to go a cooler heat range on your spark plugs.

If that still doesn't fix it you may want to double check the alignment of your cam gear.

After listening to your vid it sounds like an exhaust leak off the header or header to exhaust pipe.
GOD i hope its an exauhst leak!!

I am using a mallory magnetic disty, but im not using my vac advance. I thought I was supposed to advance the timing for ping? hmmm...ill try it your way. ill look into cooler plugs too.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

sounds like valves are out of adjustment or hitting the v/c

Last edited by Iskwezm; 09-05-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
sounds like valves are out of adjustment
That was my original thought as well. any easy explainations on How To?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

the way I do it is to cut the center of a old valve cover and adjust each side while the engine idles. Tighten till they stop clattering and then another 1/4-1/2 turn.

Is it a solid cam,roller cam?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

110 is too much. It will probably make it run hotter than expected. Cut your 110 50/50 with 92 pump gas, you won't loose power and it should run cooler. How much advance is in it at idle? @2000? @ 3250? @4500?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
the way I do it is to cut the center of a old valve cover and adjust each side while the engine idles. Tighten till they stop clattering and then another 1/4-1/2 turn.

Is it a solid cam,roller cam?
Ill do that. I came home today, and realized that I never checked the header bolts. all were pretty loose. So that might have fixed one problem. I couldnt get it started before my battery died. It is really hard to start. I feels like it will fire after i release the strater. If that makes sence. Im somewhat confident that i fixed one issue. Now on to the detonation. I am really bad with setting timing. Any thoughts on that?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by racer_dave
110 is too much. It will probably make it run hotter than expected. Cut your 110 50/50 with 92 pump gas, you won't loose power and it should run cooler. How much advance is in it at idle? @2000? @ 3250? @4500?
Okay, I will cut it tomorrow and try it. At idle I had it set to 14. Im horrible with timing so step by step instructions would help me alot. i have never had a high performance motor like this before, so this is all new to me. I want to just get it running well enough to drive it to a tuning shop and let them work out the fine details.

Quick Reply: Help with high compression motor