Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Exhaust options for 351w with long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Since you are looking for economy, why buy the Flowmasters?

Summit has some build-it yourself kits that are less expensive.
The glass packs are pretty inexpensive. You could sell the Turbo Mufflers that come with the first set and probably get most of your money back.

Here's a header-back kit from Summit that is only $209 with 2 Turbo mufflers.
2.5" aluminized tubing, Summit Turbo-style mufflers. Generic Ford/Mustang weld-up kit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680111/

Summit Generic Rod-Builder Exhaust Weld-Up kit.$199 no mufflers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-670146/
Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

The flowmaster kit I can get on Amazon for $100 less, and I have a lot of credits on Amazon to use Also, the flowmaster kit seemed more complete and probably of higher quality.

I did see that first link you posted on Summit. I will be looking into that option, it just seems like it will require a lot more modification to make work than the summit kit. Plus, I would need to buy tips for that kit, whereas the flowmaster one turns down before the rear valance which will work well on my car.

I will be checking out exhaust shops in my area to see what pricing would be for a standard dual exhaust setup if I install the headers myself and bring the glasspacks (provided that they can't get them cheaper). Unfortunately now my car's transmission is acting up so I need to sort through that first...
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Get some Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers. I had Flowmaster before and can't stand them. The interior noise was terrible and they sound like a hollow tin can.

I would buy the mufflers and take it to an exhaust shop and have them make your system. I have never had good luck with prefab kits.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
The flowmaster kit I can get on Amazon for $100 less, and I have a lot of credits on Amazon to use Also, the flowmaster kit seemed more complete and probably of higher quality.

I did see that first link you posted on Summit. I will be looking into that option, it just seems like it will require a lot more modification to make work than the summit kit. Plus, I would need to buy tips for that kit, whereas the flowmaster one turns down before the rear valance which will work well on my car.

I will be checking out exhaust shops in my area to see what pricing would be for a standard dual exhaust setup if I install the headers myself and bring the glasspacks (provided that they can't get them cheaper). Unfortunately now my car's transmission is acting up so I need to sort through that first...
I agree with the others who recommend against the Summit kit exhaust.

I was responding to what I thought was a desire for economy on your part.
No doubt, any build-it-yourself kit will be more work than something made for the car. A kit like that is clearly a case of trading time for money. I imagine the quality of the fit depends on how long you are willing to spend under the car welding upside down, etc... When you are done, you will have lots of smaller pieces welded into one big one. Worth it for a few hundred $$$?

Glass Packs-Yes!
I heard a 64 Chevy with glasspacks last weekend and really liked the old-school tone--a mellow burble at idle and a glorious vintage v8 blast at high RPMs. Just like the set of cherrybombs I had back in the day.

good luck on the transmission.