Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

MSD Atomic EFI Install- Not so simple/straightforward, but a DIY project.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM
ARESEE

Originally Posted by Stangatic
For all those wondering - I am currently trying to fix the Idle dieing as soon as you lift off the gas or in my case disengage the clutch. After that's solved I should be good to go.

Hoping to have part two out tonight.
I had a similar problem with mine. You have to adjust the idle screw while reading the idle counts on the handheld. It needs to read below 15 or something like that. It is covered in the manual( I read it after I installed it)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

So your running the Powerjection 3 in your 65 which is force fed.... That's my big gripe with MSD at this moment is that the Atomic only supports N/A engines. MSD is supposedly working on this and has been making subtle improvements (they just added MAP sensors a few months ago). You must have some connections to score a deal like that especially with the 80lb injectors..
thats the main reason got ths kit is because it works with blowers or turbos and no other kit supports it yet. I didnt have any hookups. i bought it from a retail shop that specialized in Pontiac parts.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Ok, So I have not crapped out on this thread. I fixed the problem above but now have a totally different problem of which I have yet to figure out.

The issue above was fixed by adjusting the Idle RPMs and related Idle timing. MSD sets the timing on this unit at 10 degrees BTDC which was too low for my car. The car ran flawlessly once idle timing was around 13.5degrees btdc and the driving characteristics were dramatically improved (could cruise at 1,500 rpm without backfiring and the engine just ran smoother). As for the RPMs, MSD calls it a "target" RPM which you set for idle. I had to set mine at 1050 rpms to take care of some of the stumbling and dieing. Although it is set at 1050, it idles at 875 - 950 rpms; thus the "target" rpm. Raising the RPMs at idle was the only suggestion that was given from MSD to solve the dieing when releasing the clutch. Through reading the the MSD forums, I found that adjusting the timing would help too. On that note, it appears that there is a major disconnect with the MSD and instructions in regards to how to set the timing on your engine to allow the Atomic unit to control timing. See the MSD forum for all that discussion. If you have to call MSD, there is a tech there with a 66 mustang and the Atomic unit installed. He seems to be one of the most knowledgeable techs there.

As for my new problem, once I got the Idle RPMs and timing set I took the car out for a drive. While cruising for about 20 minutes, the engine went haywire and died on me. Come to find out, a piece to install this kit, the Phaser rotor, came loose in my distributor and advanced my timing to 30 degrees btdc. fortunately, the system shut the engine off before any damage was done. This is a common occurrence and MSD recommends that you use some lock tight on the retaining screw (however, you have to read their forums to figure this out. You will see a lot of issues with the phaser rotor on their forums regarding this.) Anyways, since that has happened, my timing is all screwed up. I thought I had it fixed, but for some reason the MSD unit says my idle timing is at 22.5 btdc. but when I slighting put some pressure on the throttle (not even enough to raise the RPM), it goes to 12.5 btdc and it idles like crap too. So I am not sure if it is a part malfunction on the Atomic unit or what.

If your thing about going with the Atomic EFI, you may want to go to MSD and read the forums....... If I could start all over, I would have going with the FAST EFI.

More to come on this thread.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I'm following this....

I am halfway building a 428pi and still don't know what I am going to have for an induction set up. I want EFI but not sure which one. Your thread here has me leaning (no pun) towards FAST EFI.

Can you let us know any efficiency numbers, like mpg or hp/tq increases over your carb system?

James
Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

I will definitely provide you with efficiency numbers when i get the car dialed in and with no issues occurring every weekend. I do know that the car does get better mpg and has more power. I can feel the HP increase and my gas gauge goes down a lot slower. Ill try to get numbers here shortly. as for the Dyno numbers, the last time I went to the dyno, I spent 4 hours trying to solve issues at $150 an hour so I want to make sure that I don't go through that again.

As for the Atomic EFI, don't get me wrong but some people have had good success with the system. However, if you bought the product, you would be able to tell that MSD rushed this thing out the door and are still trying to solve issues etc. FAST EFI is known for creating EFI fuel systems and computers etc..... They have a solid product from what I have seen and heard. Plus I like Fast's ad in Car Craft.... It says "don't make the Atomic mistake"
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Ok..... New update. Based on my post from Dec 2 2012, and after about 8 or 9 calls to MSD, a complete update to the EFI system, and basically re-doing the timing aspect of the install 2 times, MSD said that there must be something wrong to the throttle body (which also houses the brains of the unit) and that I need to send it back. It's been there since the 7th of May, and as of yesterday, they were testing the throttle body.

The issue was the unit would no longer control timing on the engine. My post form December was the start of it and from letting the car sit over the winter, the issue got progressively worse. Timing would be set at 13 BTDC at idle and the unit would only get it to 4 BTDC. Add some gas and the unit would decrease the timing instead of increase it.... To me, sounds like a part malfunction.

The good news is that MSD pushed out a new update for the system that reduces the systems overly richness at idle and also now allows the Map other tuning abilities for force fed setups...... I did notice that the thee or four months of trying to get the thing dialed in last fall, it ran rich at idle and you could clearly see it on the spark plugs too. I hope that what ever MSD is fixing on the unit makes my experience worth the money paid for the system.

I'm looking for a procharger now too!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:10 AM
crisd

Default update???

I know this thread is old but what was the final outcome?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:22 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Well, It turned out that Luke, Is, Vaiders SON!!!!!!!!!!
duhhhhnnnnnn dduhhnnnnn da dunnnnnnnn
........I know right?
Old 04-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

@crisd - MSD said it was a failed MAP sensor which really concerned me regarding the quality of parts used. However, since May of 2013 I have had no other issues with the system. It has run flawlessly and as advertised. The only thing that I wish was different with the system was the display was more modern like the other systems out there. In addition, I never installed the return style fuel line as MSD now says is needed...... It wasn't part of their original instructions so I didn't install it at the time. I haven't had the chance to put the car on the dyno yet, but hope to do it sometime this spring. I know I have to have better numbers than the Edelbrock Carb that I once had. I am also getting 20 - 22 MPGs with a hefty cam, 390 gears, but the 5 speed tranny helps with that too.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:36 PM
jerry01

I am also getting 20 - 22 MPGs with a hefty cam, 390 gears, but the 5 speed tranny helps with that too.
Stangatic, was that a type on your gear ratio out of curiosity or are you really running 3.90's and getting that kind of mileage with the 5 speed?

Asking cause I just picked up the 6al, the 8479 distributor, msd wires and the atomic kit last week. I still have to buy the fuel system stuff which will probably be another month or so. My '67 is a freshly built 302, bored .040 over. 351 cam/timing, mild port/polish and pretty much stock other than that but with name brand high end quality parts. Not a screamer... I put a new weiand stealth intake on it also. I'm probably installing the distributor and ignition this next weekend but it'll still be a month or two until I install the EFI system.

I'm hoping for an increase in mpg and with the numbers you just said and if that really is your gear set damn!!! I'm running a 2.90'ish gear in the rear on mine... 5 speed also...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSD Atomic EFI Install- Not so simple/straightforward, but a DIY project.