Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Decision time, opinions and info appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Decision time, opinions and info appreciated

I am in the process of replacing the hurt 289 in my '68 Coupe with an injected 5.0 from a Fox-bodied Mustang. It is decision time..........I have the option of either a complete 5.0 and T-5 from one car or a complete 5.0 and AOD from another car. Which way should i go? My 16yo son will be driving this thing so that's one strike against the T-5, but logistically and mechanically, which is the easier/better route? I pulled the C4 out of the car with the engine, so it was already an automatic. On the one hand with the AOD there is no clutch pedal addition.....clutch cable routing and so on.....how difficult is the swap to an AOD? Would the stock shifter bolt to it? All of my reading has been about converting to a T5 because I was sure that was the route I was going to take, but now that it's decision time, I'm second guessing.....

BTW - I have a mostly stock '91 GT (original owner) that my son drives on occasion now with his learner's permit, (he's not 16 until November and I want this '68 ready to go by December 1st), so he can already drive a 5spd.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

(Wasn't sure if this should be in the tech section or general discussion)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Since its all going to be apart anyways you might as well go with the t5, stick shifts are much more fun!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

yea i agree a stick in a classic is too much fun and its good to learn on a stick as well.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Nooo.. why don't you stick with swapping in an original era motor? Time for a 351 upgrade I would think
Old 09-14-2012, 04:20 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Teaching my boys to both drive a stick was one of the smartest things I did while they were learning to drive. Either of them can step into a stick car and drive it. They may not like it, but they can do it. Something to consider. I'd also show him how to replace a clutch since the motor & tranny is already out of the car.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I would always argue about the stick being more fun. My corvette is manual and definitely fun to drive, but my mustang with an automatic is just as fun...more fun if just cruising around and not having to deal with shifting.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

LOL!!!! You guys are missing the point. He CAN drive a manual transmission.....he's been doing so since he was 9!!! I dont want him banging gears in this car and getting in trouble or wrecking it.........I'm was looking for pros and cons for each of the swaps......from a mechanical and cost perspective.

Since I posted this morning I've done some research on the AOD and have convinced my self that is the way to go......would it be more fun to drive, oh yes, without a doubt.....and that is EXACTLY why the right thing to do is NOT put the T5 in it for my son........trust me.....he grew up with a HORRIBLE influence in his father......me.....I was laying rubber while he was still in a car seat........and have never stopped.......

Thanks for the posts and the chuckles guys!!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Nooo.. why don't you stick with swapping in an original era motor? Time for a 351 upgrade I would think
If that were the case I'd rebuild the 289.......I want the reliability and driveability of the injected 5.0...........I have 173,000 miles of trouble free driving in the GT. I'm keeping the original engine and transmission and if I ever sell the '68 they will go with it.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like if he's anything like you, he's going to beat the **** out of the thing no matter what, so since he knows how to drive stick I would say you can't go wrong with either I guess, alot more resources/info/FAQs/kits for the T5 swap though. But like I said, it's going to have a fox motor, and being 16 he's going to beat it.

If I were you I'd be more concerned with installing a halo with a pipe running behind the seats. That way, he can't have more people in the car to potentially injure in a wreck, and you can strap 5 point harnesses in the front!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

My 2 cents.....
I would say, leave it an auto shifter. Unless you like converting the pedal box, adding down shift linkage, installing clutch cables, re-mapping e-brakes, all adding additional costs, brain trauma, time to source etc. Other than this, what's not to like about the fun of a T5. It boils down to what "hoops" you are willing to jump through to make the swap. Doesn't it?

Quick Reply: Decision time, opinions and info appreciated