Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'65 Coupe Father and Son Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Be careful with the media blaster on the metal panels. The heat it generates when hitting the metal can cause the the metal warp. Sand is the worst and plastic or walnut shells is the best media to use.

Take lots of disassembly pictures and bag & tag everything for later. You will be happy you did.

Project is looking good!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rbowmar
You are making great progress! Just go at the rate that feels good and you will get there. If she keeps working hard on this one, you may just have to do another Mustang for your daughter!<G>
Thank you! Yes for sure!! I am already expecting to start looking for another car for her project soon!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris66dad
Be careful with the media blaster on the metal panels. The heat it generates when hitting the metal can cause the the metal warp. Sand is the worst and plastic or walnut shells is the best media to use.

Take lots of disassembly pictures and bag & tag everything for later. You will be happy you did.

Project is looking good!
Thanks Ron! Most of what I plan on using the media blaster for is engine compartment, wheel wells and undercarriage. I am a little nervous to use it on body panels. I am using crushed walnuts as media! I am labeling all the parts I take off and putting them in 3 areas: 1) To be re-used 2) To be sold 3) To be replaced

I was looking at the car today and feeling like I definitely have a big task ahead of me! I had a '69 Coupe that I made some mods to, but not nearly as extensive as this and the car was in much better condition than this starting!

To be honest, I am using your project and NoReins project as kind of a template! Very motivating to see the before pics and then following them to completion!

I appreciate the nice words, thanks everyone!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

Hey! ive been watching your thread for awhile, ill put some input in on the media blaster as i did use one for awhile on the engine bay.. to be honest it was really time consuming and was not worth the money in the long run because it is really hard to catch all the pieces.. but walnut shells do not work the best for taking it to a bare metal or white metal.. if you are still interested in going that route i would use concrete sand. its a really fine sand and can take it to a white metal finish a lot more efficient than the walnut shells. I did go that route for all of 3 days.. then i found someone that did soda blasting and asked him how much he would do the engine bay for.. he quoted me 75 bucks. i did end up getting the whole car done and was out the door for 500 bucks. just thought id chime in and let you know. Good luck on the build! It is surely coming along!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Daferg

Your project looks just about like mine. I have used my sandblasters for multiple projects including an 80 Scout I am rebuilding and that Harbor Freight unit you bought does a great job but DO NOT use sand. Tractor Supply sells sand blasting material that is not sand called Black Diamond. Get the finest grit they make (about $8 for 50 lbs) and it does a great job and will strip anything to metal. I usually use that blaster at about 100 psi but you will need a big compressor to run it. I use an 80 gallon tank. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Steve
Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98mustangkidd
Hey! ive been watching your thread for awhile, ill put some input in on the media blaster as i did use one for awhile on the engine bay.. to be honest it was really time consuming and was not worth the money in the long run because it is really hard to catch all the pieces.. but walnut shells do not work the best for taking it to a bare metal or white metal.. if you are still interested in going that route i would use concrete sand. its a really fine sand and can take it to a white metal finish a lot more efficient than the walnut shells. I did go that route for all of 3 days.. then i found someone that did soda blasting and asked him how much he would do the engine bay for.. he quoted me 75 bucks. i did end up getting the whole car done and was out the door for 500 bucks. just thought id chime in and let you know. Good luck on the build! It is surely coming along!
Thanks Jeremy, At this stage in the game the kids are having so much fun helping me with pressure washing and they are very excited to start media blasting! We will see how it goes, I expect this to be the most tedious part of the project. I have 100#s of walnut shells and when I go through that I will try Black Diamond which several people have recommended if the shells don't do it for us!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daferg
Your project looks just about like mine. I have used my sandblasters for multiple projects including an 80 Scout I am rebuilding and that Harbor Freight unit you bought does a great job but DO NOT use sand. Tractor Supply sells sand blasting material that is not sand called Black Diamond. Get the finest grit they make (about $8 for 50 lbs) and it does a great job and will strip anything to metal. I usually use that blaster at about 100 psi but you will need a big compressor to run it. I use an 80 gallon tank. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Steve
Thanks Steve, a few people have recommended Black Diamond so I will definitely try it after I go through the 100 #s of walnut shells I have!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Evan (55) had fun cutting the steering column out.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-20-2012, 07:24 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

got the heating unit out!

Quick Reply: '65 Coupe Father and Son Project