Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'65 Coupe Father and Son Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

Default '65 Coupe Father and Son Project

Hey everyone, I am relatively new to this forum and wanted to share the project '65 Coupe that I will be building with my now 12 year old son. It will be his when he turns 16 (as long as he gets straight A's).
I am not a mechanic by trade and do plan on doing all the work that I am capable of so I will definitely be asking for advice along the way!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

You are in for a big adventure. Be patient and take your time to teach him and let him do as much as he can while you supervise him. There will be times when you will want to grab the wrench and do it yourself but resist the temptation.

Our father son restoration took 2 1/2 years of working on it every weekend. I was well worth it though.

Take lots of pictures and think about setting up a website and document your progress and as reminder of the time you 2 spent together.

Here is our project:
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris66dad
You are in for a big adventure. Be patient and take your time to teach him and let him do as much as he can while you supervise him. There will be times when you will want to grab the wrench and do it yourself but resist the temptation.

Our father son restoration took 2 1/2 years of working on it every weekend. I was well worth it though.

Take lots of pictures and think about setting up a website and document your progress and as reminder of the time you 2 spent together.

Here is our project:
This.. I couldn't have said it better... Don't get frustrated too easily..
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 55's 65
Hey everyone, I am relatively new to this forum and wanted to share the project '65 Coupe that I will be building with my now 12 year old son. It will be his when he turns 16 (as long as he gets straight A's).
I am not a mechanic by trade and do plan on doing all the work that I am capable of so I will definitely be asking for advice along the way!

I think its a great idea and wish I could have done the same. That said, are you any good at welding because from the looks of it you have some serious work ahead of you. If the frame is bad you may not have the ability to do this out of a garage. It might not be a bad idea to work with something doable with just the two of you.....but then again...I too have a sense of adventure.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris66dad

Here is our project:
Thanks Chris! It's great to see my son getting excited about tearing into this!
Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I did the same thing with my son starting 6 years ago on a 72 Mach1. While still not done, the car is great. More important is the quality of relationship he and I built over the time we worked on it and we still get together weekly to work on cars, or just spend time together.

Remember that your son is about to become a teenager and that their most important job is to grow into the quality adult they have within them. In our case, working on the car took backseat to many friends and activities, all just as important as working on the car.

As a teenager, he took several years off from the project to become a world-class downhill skateboard racer and start a business selling handling parts for skateboards. While I was sometimes frustrated at losing his help and companionship on the car, Helping him to grow int the fine young man he has become was far more important.

He has become a car buff on his own and owns 4 vintage cars. He travels the world for the World Cup and sells his parts throughout the world. I certainly can't give the car project credit for all this, but there's no doubt it was a great venue for quality parenting.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:53 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

You guys are probably the coolest dads I've ever heard of.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

An unexpected joy! My 9 yo daughter absolutely loves working on our Coupe!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

I'm still disassembling. This will probably go on for several more weeks. I can only spend a few hours during the week and a few more on weekends.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 PM
55's 65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wgc68nyc
I think its a great idea and wish I could have done the same. That said, are you any good at welding because from the looks of it you have some serious work ahead of you. If the frame is bad you may not have the ability to do this out of a garage. It might not be a bad idea to work with something doable with just the two of you.....but then again...I too have a sense of adventure.
I am hoping the frame is straight! The car has a small donut tire on one side and the rear is flat so it makes it lean. I am going to get it on jack stands tomorrow and strip the car down more so I'll check to ensure it is straight!

Quick Reply: '65 Coupe Father and Son Project