Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Advice on price increase on paint job..

Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Default Advice on price increase on paint job..

Got a call from the shop today that told me that car is ready to be blocked sanded and jammed. Said the original estimate of $4600 is looking more like $7000 could be more currently figuring out.

Just a little background I did all the major metal work mostly by replacing with new panels - ford tooling where available. Had 2 patches they were aware of front fender and replace dash panel insert. I had epoxy primed the car in SPI – they seen it bare when they estimated. They had suggested to shoot a coat of primer on it while I was waiting to have scheduled in. Basically agreement was fit and finish and it was pretty much what you see is what you get.

2 areas that were above and beyond original estimate were: I added lemans stripes - they estimated at $800 (were going to be cleared over). The other is that they had troubling lining up trunk at had to pop qtrs they had to pop loose to re-square. I have no problem pay for the extra work on those. I had ask them if they had run into any other troubles in any other areas because of the work I did similar to trunk.

My issue is that I don't think I should have to pick up costs for where they estimated wrong. The guy that did the original estimate has since left and working with a different person. Shop has taken longer than committed - I'm okay with that. And they do very nice work - see a number of cars they have done. The painter I'm working with has been personally good to work with.

I'm considering to offer to split the difference where they estimated too low. Not sure if I should have to bear the brunt. They had estimated whole job at 72 hours. Now looking well over 100.

Just curious what others think. thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 03:39 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

This is where you ask for a QUOTE not an "estimate." ...and if they need to do work above and beyond what they told you (and if that work will cost you), they must call and ask you first. Otherwise, time to call a lawyer...

My .02
Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZeroTX
This is where you ask for a QUOTE not an "estimate." ...and if they need to do work above and beyond what they told you (and if that work will cost you), they must call and ask you first. Otherwise, time to call a lawyer...

My .02
You're right about the quote vs estimate - I kind of hosed this one up. Should have insisted on quote. Funny thing I negotiate things all day at work and I don't apply the same principles at for home
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yep, an estimate is just that...an estimate. If they ran into problems and had to do work that they didn't estimate would need to be done, the estimate will go up.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

4600 is kinda high but normal for a show car paint job,The 7k i think hes smoking crack or something.800 bucks to add the stripes is sky high too i have seen cars painted for that before.I would talk to a lawyer and ask him to show you the work on the quarters and ask what brand paint and color hes gonna use,When you get home call around see how much the paint really is.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Consider yourself "lucky" or blessed - let me help you feel better. Roughly 9 times out of 10, or so it seems, body shops will give you an estimate or a quote doesn't matter how you look at it, get you in and get you out. They quoted you on the paint job. They could have just blocked and sprayed your car. Now you have a nice looking paint job with crappy gaps. Now you've spent $4,600 on a nice paint job which is a good chunk of change regardless but when you go to shows you have people pointing out your gaps. Do you see what I mean? The shop wants your car to look good. Take it from me personally, I've paid more than my initial quote because of things we didn't do correctly and I'm thankful that he's willing to fix them. As far as splitting the difference for the extra work - Well, what do you do for a living? Time is the most valuable asset in anyone's arsenal. They spent more time because they care about your satisfaction and their work, afterall they are putting their name on it. It's a lot of work to make a car look good, and unless you are working for half price at your job, then don't expect anyone else to have to work half price and receive full price results.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I don't think they are far out of line. The up-charge is $2400. Subtract the stripes, and you are left with $1600. If they had to pop your quarters and basically re-square the back of the car to get your trunk to fit, then reattach them and re prep those surfaces, that doesn't sound too out of line. If you feel it is high, renegotiate the 1600.

It is frustrating to have a budget over-run of this magnitude, but if you are planning on owning the car, it is nice to have the original painter still speaking to you when warranty and touch-up time comes around.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rbowmar
I don't think they are far out of line. The up-charge is $2400. Subtract the stripes, and you are left with $1600. If they had to pop your quarters and basically re-square the back of the car to get your trunk to fit, then reattach them and re prep those surfaces, that doesn't sound too out of line. If you feel it is high, renegotiate the 1600.

It is frustrating to have a budget over-run of this magnitude, but if you are planning on owning the car, it is nice to have the original painter still speaking to you when warranty and touch-up time comes around.
You're righ goal was try to end on good terms for both - which we did this morning. Cost me a bit more than expected but not as much as they originally came back with. I'm good with outcome.

I know others have posted that's a lot for a paint job - I shopped around and in at least in my area hard to get a quality job for less. Plus I've seen their work I'd say close to show quality. After all the work I did to get to this point and plans to replace/rebuild about everything on car - I did not want to skimp on paint.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:50 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
I know others have posted that's a lot for a paint job - I shopped around and in at least in my area hard to get a quality job for less. Plus I've seen their work I'd say close to show quality. After all the work I did to get to this point and plans to replace/rebuild about everything on car - I did not want to skimp on paint.
i asked my uncle a few years ago how many hours to paint a full car (was asking for my friend who has a 70 challenger). he said 700 hours is typical for labor and that includes the labor to bag/tag the car, send it out to be media blasted, replacement of one panel, bodywork, paint, cut/buff.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 PM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

You're right about an estimate being just that, an estimate. Best guess. Frankly, I don't think the $4600 is that bad for a good paint job but a lot depends on where you are. I'm in Houston and that isn't a bad price for a good paint job (not show quality but good). However, in some of the more rural areas here you can get work done much cheaper. Also, keep in mind that if you get a firm quote they will often build in extra because they don't know what they are going to find when they start working on the car which means you pay it whether or not they find problems. Or they may limit the scope of work so that you end up paying for any extras. I guess it comes down to if you want a good paint job, you're going to have to pay for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on price increase on paint job..