Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

AOD w/ 351w

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default AOD w/ 351w

So I have installed 93 AOD onto my 351w and ended up having an issue with the AOD not kicking down into 2nd or 3rd from od. I used the stock FMX flexplate, aod converter from the 93 gt mustang and the aod. I used the lokar TV cable and adjusted it by taking any slack out of the cable at idle so that any movement of the throttle gave me movement of the TV lever on the AOD. I also had to flip the aod lever to point down during the install.

Well I have allways had the problem that the AOD would not kick down from OD to 3rd or 2nd gear, until today. I removed the lokar spring that came with the TV adapter cable and then added my own bracket with a lightweight spring from orieleys to pull the tv back to its stop. The lokar spring was causing a binding that didnt allow the lever to travel all the way to its kick down point.

Took the car and family for some slurpies and for the first time, the thing shifted from OD to 2nd gear at about 35mph and took off, then shifted as expected to 3rd and OD.. I was pretty excited!

So for anyone googeling this.. aod doesnt shift from od .. aod doesnt kick down .. aod dont kick down from 4th gear ..

Good Luck
Hopefully this helps.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I have to add that I also have the tv corrector kit for a holley to adjust the geometry of the throttle pull to the AOD.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

You don't really want to adjust those at idle. You want to adjust it so when the engine is at full throttle, so is the trans.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:16 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I have read of a few different ways of adjusting it. Some people swear you will burn up the trans if you dont used a pressure gauge, others say to push your throttle to max and max out the tv arm and set there, and others say to adjust so you have a slight pull at idle (no slack). I used the slight pull at idle and then adjusted using the cable adjuster for a nice feel in the shift. Until yesterday I decided to get off my butt and figure out why my accelerator pedal was so firm and found the binding tv cable. I had read that my kickdown issue was most likely a issue with an accumulator in the trans, but it was just me not seeing the binding. and
Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I don't want to complicate things but, the "accumulator" just absorbs the pressure so that you don't have such a harsh shift. What it takes to make a shift occur is a battle between the governor and the tv. As speed increases, the gov builds pressure to cause an upshift. Meanwhile, as you have your foot in the gas, the tv holds off that pressure to prevent an upshift. The more your foot is in it, the bigger the fight to upshift. If you put your foot to the floor....the tv wins and causes a downshift.

Does that make sense?