Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

can i use 68 fairlane discs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:59 PM
jfleag61

Default can i use 68 fairlane discs?

He guys and gals, I was out at the "used parts super store" aka, the salvage yard looking for parts for my dads truck. I came across a 68 fairlane fastback, and noticed it had the front disks. Also, at another yard, there was a 70 'stang coupe, also with the front disk setup. Would either of these fit on my 68 'stang? The guy that owned my car before me did a v8 swap, and the 5 lug conversion, but stuck with the drum setup. I think the spindles for the 5lug swap are from a '67 though. Would I need to swap out everything? I was told at one time that you can keep the 67 spindles from the drum setup, just need to swap in the backing plate, bearings an all that. Is this true? Also, what year(s) cars would be proper donors if I wanted to put R&P steering?

Just would like some input as to weather or not it is even worth putting the time into removing all the hardware from the older cars and "recycling" them, or is it better to just stick with aftermarket..just trying to save the $$ where I can!

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:55 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I think they are the same. When you get up in to the Galaxie is when they are different. Take some measurements but I'm almost certain they will interchange Fairlane/Mustang.

Grab the spindles and everything off of both cars unless they are dry rodding you on the price you should be able to make some pretty decent jing if you sell them on Ebay.
With a pickle fork, 4lb hammer, adjustable wrench, needle nose pliers and a pocket knife you can have both sides off and in your wheel barrow in less than 1/2 hour.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

OR you can do the $200 disc brake conversion and not use any junk yard parts.
do a search on this site...
Old 11-09-2012, 04:49 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Did a search and drew a blank.

Link?
Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 AM
jfleag61

Thanks for the help! Oh, and as far as the rack and pinion setup goes...there is a guy in my area that has a used flaming river R&P from a mustang II on craigslist for $120. Will that fit on a '68 coupe, and does that seem like an ok price?

thanks again!...love this place
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I installed a flaming river R&P setup on my 67 and I love it. It bolted right in, no fuss, no muss.

But if you don't want to get a kit and are handy with a welder and torches you can get just about anything to fit.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

No a mustang 2 rack won't work it goes in front of the spindles where your mustang the steering is behide the spindles.Only junkyard ones that could work are a few fwd ones like a taurus and cavaliver but both are slower ratios then your stock box so its not a upgrade to me.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jfleag61
He guys and gals, I was out at the "used parts super store" aka, the salvage yard looking for parts for my dads truck. I came across a 68 fairlane fastback, and noticed it had the front disks. Also, at another yard, there was a 70 'stang coupe, also with the front disk setup. Would either of these fit on my 68 'stang? The guy that owned my car before me did a v8 swap, and the 5 lug conversion, but stuck with the drum setup. I think the spindles for the 5lug swap are from a '67 though. Would I need to swap out everything? I was told at one time that you can keep the 67 spindles from the drum setup, just need to swap in the backing plate, bearings an all that. Is this true? Also, what year(s) cars would be proper donors if I wanted to put R&P steering?

Just would like some input as to weather or not it is even worth putting the time into removing all the hardware from the older cars and "recycling" them, or is it better to just stick with aftermarket..just trying to save the $$ where I can!

Thanks in advance for any input!
http://www.chockostangclassicmustang...rakefacts.html
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 PM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
Did a search and drew a blank.

Link?
Thanks
https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...es-anyone.html

this thread should be stickied in my opinion.... there is a link to do the rears for about the same price too.
I cheated and did an exploder rear swap.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Shout out for a great site. This site was a huge help in summing up brake parts for me.

I'm putting 70-71 torino disk setups on both my 66 mustang and 66 ranchero.

Quick Reply: can i use 68 fairlane discs?