Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A sad, sad day for my Deluxe Shifter Handle

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default A sad, sad day for my Deluxe Shifter Handle

Well, my all original, deluxe shifter handle that I have been nursing along for the last few years finally gave up the ghost completely and could have left my ***** in a vise, miles from home. Several years ago my button broke and would sometimes fall out of the handle but it was not a problem, just had to make sure the button didn't fall out. Keep on truckin'...

Saturday I had to pick up my daughter from across the county and as I went to leave in the 02GT I had a sparkplug blow out there in the driveway. Sucks, but what are you going to do? It happens. I took the fastback instead.

I stopped to get gas and as I was leaving the station I dropped it down in to 1st gear like I always do ( I have always shifted my C6 manually) and it felt a little funny. When I tried to shift to 2nd and then Drive I could tell it was really in a bind and then it wouldn't move at all. I knew that if I stopped the car to investigate that my neutral safety switch would prevent me from restarting the car and I also knew I didn't have the correct size hex key with me anyway so I couldn't take off the handle and work it that way. I left it alone and luckily it was interstate traffic so getting there and back wasn't really a problem, I just had to make sure I didn't put myself in a position where I needed to turn the car off or go in to reverse.

Here's the bitch of it...This shifter handle was one of the last few remaining original pieces of my fastbacks interior and because it is (was) in such great shape, it is (was) a source of personal pride. I see originals for sale on Ebay for 140 or 150.00 but it's hard to justify that kind of price, especially now that I'm looking at a repair bill for the '02. I don't want a repop because they are modeled after the 68 & later and they are different than the 67's (they are a bit wider). Yeah, it's stupid, I know but the heart wants what the heart wants.

So, if any of you are sitting around & wondering what to get Ol' Fastbackford351 for Christmas and you have a line on where I could buy a reasonably priced button for a deluxe shifter, drop me a line. I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 12-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.