Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Best motor choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 AM
paulo
1st Gear Member

If you want a lot of power avoid 302. Friend used to build them and they would fail (but I am talking about a lot of HP lol) I probably go with 351 W with new heads. Once money allows add supercharger. But if you are not racing, then reason for supercharger is looking good and a little fun. If you boost too much you could have problems. You may have to change pistons depending how much you want from it.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BUN
Ok all, here we go. Rebuilding my 1965 mustang into complete resto-mod. Not restoring, but building! I am looking for the best motor choice for big HP and reliability. I have a 289 that came out of it, a 302 that was once in it, and a 351W that i bought from a friend. I am wondering which motor will give me the best HP, and I will be adding a Weiand Blower to it. Whichever block i use will get stripped and machined at a shop and the build continues from there. New crank, cam, pistons, heads, rockers and pushrods, the works. Money isn't my largest concern because i am finally going to build the motor i want, over several months. I would like to stick with the 289 or 302, but have heard that after 450HP or so, you are running close to the limit. The rear end will be a 9" ford posi, along with all new suspension and roll cage. Most likely it will be bagged with larger wheels. This is being as a daily driver/ show car, but i still want to go fast if i want!!! Thanks for any suggestions!
If you want a daily driver (even with a huge budget) I wouldnt be passing those HP numbers anyway. If you want north of 400hp you are talking about special suspension, high flowing exhaust, trans upgrade, massive rubber and really getting up there in the rpms. All of which will probably start to annoy you when making a grocery run into town or just enjoying cruising.

Speed is preception...I should know 75mph with my old suspension use to scare me and I have seen 165mph on public roads (yes I was a dumb college kid). Take a step back and imagine how you will use it most? Do you want a friend to able to drive it (or drive you home) without a wrongful death suit from the family? Long road trip? More than two people in the car comfortably? Once you have that figured out then you can come back to what will accomplish it best. Also I have no experience with them but maybe buying a crate engine and modding would be better than starting from scratch cost and labor wise.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci.../M6007X427FFT/
Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Honestly if i had to do mine over i would have went with a full frame from http://schwartzperformance.com/1964-...is-full-frame/
Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Well,Here is your engine. FORD racing 363 stroker, 500hp

Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

You can fit a 351 based motor in the 65-66s without altering the shock towers but headers are a tight fit.The biggest advantage here in my opinon is the stronger block and you can get a lot of cubic inches with a stroker kit..However if you want to put a blower on it you don't need a lot of cubes..If money is not a concern I would get an aftermarket block in the 8.2 deck height(289/302 size).With the bigger bore sizes compared to stock you can get a decent amount of cubic inches and the block can take the extra power.