Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 GT Fastback Restore

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM
TheStump

Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM
TheStump

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...213194854.jpg/
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Well, I typed out a nice informative post but a fuggin database error stole it. I'll try again later.

Last edited by Coupe; 12-30-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

OK, after taking a rusty 65 FB and getting it as perfect as I can the best advice I can give is to bite the bullet and buy and install the largest parts you can, like a one piece floor pan and possibly the trunk floor with transition pan already attached.

If every thing is rotted out and you need to remove the tail light assembly anyway this big part can be a time saver, and the fact that the shock mount is separate from the part is a big plus. I left my original cross member/shock mount in the car since it was perfect and wanted to keep it in place for alignment, but I had to remove the new one from the new transition panel because on THAT PART the shock mount is already welded to the new transition.

I went with just the transition panel and trunk separately but in retrospect I would have made quicker progress with the part shown above.

I used this and the shock mount is already welded in, and that sux for installation, especially since mine was fine and was holding the car square.

Last edited by Coupe; 12-30-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

I started from the back. I had to replace the rear frame rail ends due to rot and swelling. When it comes to that dont get intimidated, once the trunk floor is out you just need to use a plumb bob and a tape measure to locate the existing one and then cut it off where the metal gets solid again (I dont like to cut more frame off than I need to).
Once you have the new part cut to the same length as the part you cut off you drill some holes on the sides of the new and old frame and lay steel inside the frame rails to make an overlap inside the frame and plug weld them from the outside and stitch the inside, then weld the seam and dress it down. The WELD AT THE SEAM WILL BE COSMETIC if the inside of the frame is welded properly, so you can dress it down and nobody will see it.

You mention the rear torque boxes being bad, if everything under the car is perforated you may even want to do the full chassis replacement. I have not done this yet, but I would think it to be a huge time saver. You can actually find these at big swap meets (I would use one for a ragtop car for added stiffness)

Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM
TheStump

I got the passenger side front torque box installed last night ( I know this is not a stock piece for a 66' but I think in the name of safety it is ok) plus some additional pieces. The rear frame rails look to be pretty solid. I will need to do a little work around the rear seat area. I am still trying ti get this picture thing down so bear with me.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:13 PM
TheStump

A little look at what is waiting on the other side. This is the "freakinstien" i was refrencing. Don't want to cut it out until I get some strength on the pass. side.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

can you resize the pictures? and post more! lol
Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 PM
vossen wheels
Former Sponsor

Holy rust batman! Glad to see you're bringing this beauty back to life! Can't wait to see more!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Looks like the only savable part is the VIN number.

Quick Reply: 66 GT Fastback Restore