Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967/94 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM
geaganj

Default 1967/94 Mustang

Ok, I'm fairly new to this whole thing, so I'm sure I'm going to ask some stupid questions; please bear with me. I purchased a 67 Coupe with a 289 VIN but it has a 302 out of a 71 Torino with a C4 trans. I don't have much more info than that. We're trying not to dump my kid's college fund into this; we just want a cool, fun toy to enjoy at the car shows or take out for "date night". Anyway, I'd like to have a 67 body and interior with an updated (i.e. EFI) power plant. I'd also like to go to a manual trans.

I have found a 94 GT with the T5 trans that I would like to use as a donor car. From everything I've read, the 5.0 should mount right in and the T5 should be no issue as well. First, what other items can I use from the 94? What kind of modifications would need to be done to make this happen? I'd also like to go to power disc brakes (preferably all around, but specifically in the front). Can I use any or all components from the 94? Like I said, these may be dumb newbie questions, but hey, that's what I am…looking to learn!

Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The t5 won't fit with out cutting a shifter hole in your floor,Its the 93 back t5 that fits a early mustang prefect.The engine you have to change the oil pan and pick up to a front sump and replace the radiator to match the outlets of the engine.On the brakes i haven't seen anyone use those just the cobra brakes and 05 brakes.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 AM
geaganj

Thanks Andrew. Quick question...can I use the radiator from the 94 and the oil pan from the 67? He's only asking a thousand for the car, figure the motor & trans alone is worth that, right? I guess I'll get it and just play with it. If it doesn't work, I'll part it out.

Any other thoughts out there would be great!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Hi geaganj, Don't worry about asking stupid questions. It's better than stupid thinking, and then executing. My oh my, I think we've all asked certain questions we thought were dumb. But, really weren't. WELCOME.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

How does the 94 run and shift, etc.?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
geaganj

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
How does the 94 run and shift, etc.?
I'm going to look at it tonight. He said it runs great, probably could use a good once over (plugs, wires, etc). He said he broke a fuel line trying to replace the TPS, so the new sensor is there but it hasn't been set and the fuel line hasn't been fixed.

My biggest concern is having to make major modifications to the sub-frame/body of the 67. I'm not a fabricator, so any welding would have to be outsourced at this point (it's on my list of things to learn, but not on my 67). I'm ok with cutting a few holes here and there, but welding is not in my arsenal. That's why I'm looking for some direction.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 PM
geaganj

Well, looks like the deal is going to happen. Everything looks great! I guess I'm about to embark on an adventure of matting the old with the new(er). I'm sure there will be PLENTY of questions forthcoming.

Of course, like my friend said, I may just tool around in the 94 for a while on an extended test drive. Wife won't be too happy but she'll survive. Wish me luck!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:33 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The radiator i don't know if it would work they both mount differently and plus its a used car it better to spend a little now and not have that to worry about.A new oil pan is like 50 bucks and 20 for the pickup oil pan gasket 30 bucks.If the car runs and drives a grand isn't too bad you can still part it out and get some of it back in the long run too.On swapping it in the motor will fit stock small block motor mounts after you put the front sump oil pan on.On the t5 any mustang part place sells a custom crossmember for it.If you want something to read http://midnightdsigns.com/james/ he did the same swap but in a 65 but everything is the same.

Last edited by andrewmp6; 12-15-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 AM
geaganj

Thanks for the feedback. I figured the radiator wouldn't fit. Back to the trans, you said I would need to cut a hole in the floor. I'm guessing that means it comes too far back to hit the whole, correct? If I were to get a T5 from a 89-93, would the computer work from the 94 5.0? Again, newbie questions I'm sure. I might be better served to find someone to swap me trans, even if I have to pay a couple bucks.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:29 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

how much are you paying for this car??

Quick Reply: 1967/94 Mustang