Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuel pump wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Fuel pump wiring?

I'm installing the electric fuel pump, filter and lines for my EFI 5.0 conversion and I have a question. How do you wire the pump? The kit has ZERO instructions for the wiring part and no wires. The pump has a positive and negative terminal. I assume the postive wire is to be spliced into the wire that goes to the fuel pickup? Or ran to the connector on the pickup at the tank? And then run a ground wire to the frame somewhere?

I HATE wiring......but having to suck it up and learn as I go with this project.

Mounted the fuel pump today. WOOHOO!! Progress is progress.

Now to get it wired.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcopilot
I'm installing the electric fuel pump, filter and lines for my EFI 5.0 conversion and I have a question. How do you wire the pump? The kit has ZERO instructions for the wiring part and no wires. The pump has a positive and negative terminal. I assume the postive wire is to be spliced into the wire that goes to the fuel pickup? Or ran to the connector on the pickup at the tank? And then run a ground wire to the frame somewhere?

I HATE wiring......but having to suck it up and learn as I go with this project.

Mounted the fuel pump today. WOOHOO!! Progress is progress.

Now to get it wired.

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi,
I'm not an EFI expert, so, perhaps the pump shares an 12V inter-lock with the fuel pick-up? Do the pick-ups get a 12V relay source? I run an electric on a carb engine through a relay and an inertia switch. Sorry if this doesn't help, but, good luck!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenash
Hi,
I'm not an EFI expert, so, perhaps the pump shares an 12V inter-lock with the fuel pick-up? Do the pick-ups get a 12V relay source? I run an electric on a carb engine through a relay and an inertia switch. Sorry if this doesn't help, but, good luck!
Perhaps it does.........I don't have a clue. Aggravates the CRAP outta me when items do not come with instructions......or they completely leave out parts of the instructions when idiots like ME need all the help they can get.....which is the case right now.

By inter-lock do you mean tying it in to the pickup? Relay??? Again, clueless with this wiring thing.

Thank you for your response. :-)
Old 12-16-2012, 04:17 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcopilot
Perhaps it does.........I don't have a clue. Aggravates the CRAP outta me when items do not come with instructions......or they completely leave out parts of the instructions when idiots like ME need all the help they can get.....which is the case right now.

By inter-lock do you mean tying it in to the pickup? Relay??? Again, clueless with this wiring thing.

Thank you for your response. :-)
OK,
As I stated, I run an electric fuel pump with an inertia switch. The inertia switch is there to shut off the fuel pump in the event of a collision. When I turn the key to start (crank), the pump is energized. This is what you want to occur when you fire the engine. To do this, you need a switched 12V power source to the red lead of the pump when you start the engine. Now, you need to locate a switched 12V source to supply the pump. Once you have this, best practices is to insert a simple relay into the circuit, along with an inertia switch. I've already covered the reason for a fuel cut-off switch (inertia).
The value in powering a device (pump) that consumes 6-10 amps through a relay, is the relay acts as a heavy duty switch that is designed to make the connection and take the brunt of those high amps flowing to the pump. If a relay is not used, which ever switch being used to make that connection will eventually fail through overheating or burned contacts. In this case, it may be your ignition switch. I might have a wiring diagram with the pump and inertia switch, but, you might "Google" the circuit and how a relay works.
Hope this adds to your insight.

Last edited by kenash; 12-16-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I just have my fuel pump powered from a toggle switch that act as a kill switch also. The pump has nothing to with the pick up/sender(in my case). So power comes from the key to a toggle,to a relay, to a hidden toggle then to the pump.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Ok………learning here……….after doing research on Painless Wirings page, I’ve learned the fuel pump is wired into the main harness from the donor car which includes the necessary relay and wire to an inertia switch.

I am SO glad I have a ’91 GT that is basically stock to use as reference for all of these connections!

Thanks for the tips and input!!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 AM
theslyfox

KENASH!!!!!!!!! you said ur running an electric fuel pump with your carb. awesome i need some assistance. i just carb swapped mine and i gotta regulator to keep it from pumpin that 50ish psi into the carb. anyways i can cycle the key and get some fuel to the bowl and crank it and run it till the bowl runs out but after that it cuts off and i gotta fill the bowl again. for some reason its not pumpin constant fuel into it. i found a regulator with a return line fitting so i wont overheat my electric fuel pump. i tried an inline pump but i tried to mount it on the fenderwall up front. i think its to far from the tank. cause it doesnt pump to great. what do you think sir?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:04 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by theslyfox
KENASH!!!!!!!!! you said ur running an electric fuel pump with your carb. awesome i need some assistance. i just carb swapped mine and i gotta regulator to keep it from pumpin that 50ish psi into the carb. anyways i can cycle the key and get some fuel to the bowl and crank it and run it till the bowl runs out but after that it cuts off and i gotta fill the bowl again. for some reason its not pumpin constant fuel into it. i found a regulator with a return line fitting so i wont overheat my electric fuel pump. i tried an inline pump but i tried to mount it on the fenderwall up front. i think its to far from the tank. cause it doesnt pump to great. what do you think sir?

Hi,
It's standard practice to mount electric fuel pumps as close to the tank as possible. They are "pushers", not "pullers." Unless there is something "weirdly" wrong with your pump, when getting a "constant" 12Vs, it should constantly pump. That is, with the key in the "run" position.
BTW, what are the pump specs? The reason I ask,.... I would not run an EFI pump on a carbed engine. Also, I think I mentioned, insure that carb is getting no more than 6 lbs. PSI.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM
JamesW

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/FuelSystem.htm
Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Hi,
That's a great illustration and overview, but, this guy is working with a "carb'd" engine.
Might be confusing?
However, that's a keeper link.
Happy New Year!

Quick Reply: Fuel pump wiring?