Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front end popping

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 AM
hicksj65

Default Front end popping

Ok I have a 65 mustang with a 73 302 and stock four speed I have had the car about ten years and rebuilt from the ground up I recently had front tire blow going down the highway as it was time for new tires anyway I bought two fronts michelins, anyway now as I drive the front will pop going down the road I have checked everything I can think of, tire balancing shocks spring seats I did recently rebuild the front suspension with pst kit and did not have the problem till I got the new tires if anyone could give me some suggestions that what be great
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Is the sound only on one side or both?Does it do it over a bump in the road or only when turning?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
hicksj65

It does it about it every two seconds or so from the right side it's very consistent and speed has no impact nor does road conditions or turning
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
putz54143
1st Gear Member

Would a wheel weight be hitting? Jack up that side and turn the tire you should find what's going on
Use a jack stand if you need to get under there. If you can't do it your self go back where you got the tires I am Sure they would look
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Can you feel it or is it just a noise? When you say it is not speed dependent, does it increase in frequency with your speeds, only happen after a certain speed? Since it didn't happen until you got the new tires perhaps something is inside the tire now?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
hicksj65

Ok I jacked it up and spun the tire but I still can't find anything, one thing I did find was that I have no balancing weights on the side I have the popping coming from if the wheel is unbalanced can that be problem and to answer your questions clowe I can feel in the car but not in the steering wheel and im not sure what you mean by frequency but it does it anytime the car is rolling it did not do it when I had the car in the air which makes me suspect a suspension or balancing problem am I wrong in that line of thinking
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Jack up the front end of the car on both sides from the control arms so that the suspension is loaded. Block the rear tires and get a friend to spin the wheel while you push on the car to simulate bumps in the road and see if you can duplicate the noise. As to the speed/frequency thing, does it happen more often at higher speeds than lower speeds, or on a bumpy road vs a smoother one?

Another thing you might try is getting a video camera mounted in the wheel well to record as you are driving.

If there are no weights on the wheel (check the inside rim too, not sure what kind of rims you have) it most likely is not balanced, but even an unbalanced wheel should not cause vibrations until you reach +35 mph typically. Also the bumping you describe as occurring every two seconds would happen more often if the wheel was unbalanced. At 35 mph with a 28" tire (guess) its rotating 7 revs/sec. Hence the bump would be felt 7 times.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
hicksj65

Ok thanks I'll try it tonight and see what happens I'll post back with the results
Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM
hicksj65

Ok guys thanks for all the help i traced it down to a wheel bearing I guess when I put the new ones in I over torqued them and crushed the bearing again thanks for all the help guy
Old 01-19-2013, 03:16 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

make sure you do the new bearings correctly you cant use a click type torque wrench you have to use a beam type so you can do a rolling torque...then you back it off and re-tighten the nut finger tight basically...

What I came up with is as follows. "Rotate wheel and drum while torquing the wheel bearing adjusting nut to 17 to 25 foot pounds of torque. Back off adjusting nut 1/2 turn and retighten to 10 to 15 inch pounds while rotating drum and wheel."

Quick Reply: Front end popping